(February 6, 2019) – RunSignup, the leading technology provider for races in the US, has assembled a list of the Top 100 Road Races in the country to better understand the top tier of the racing industry. In addition to ranking each road race by total finishers in 2018, the report reveals the growth or decline in each race from 2017 to 2018.
While the participation in individual races can be impacted by factors outside the race’s control (weather events, permit changes, etc.), the aggregate data creates a snapshot of the state of the market for large events. The key stat is that overall, the group saw a 3% decrease in finishers (taking the Disney World Marathon weekend out of the analysis due to a significant weather anomaly in 2017). In comparison, the RunSignup RaceTrends report (to be released in full later this week) analyzing all RunSignup races, found a decrease of just .1%, indicating a higher level of pressure on large events.
Highlights of the report include:
- The races that moved up the list most aggressively were The Great Pumpkin Run: Virtual (not ranked to 59), Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon (76 to 49), and McGuire’s St. Patrick’s Day Prediction 5K Run (not ranked to 77)
- The three biggest movers were also the races that grew the most; all the 10 ten races for growth increased more than 10%
- Five races from the 2017 Top 100 were not held in 2018 – four of them due to the construction in DisneyLand that caused them to cancel races for the year
- Six races joined the Top 100 in 2018, three of which were a part of the Hot Chocolate 15K/5K
- The Top 100 are spread amongst many registration providers, with Active as the provider of 17 races and RunSignup partnering with 16 events. Seven other providers have at least five of the Top 100
RunSignup continues to study the endurance market because the diversity of providers makes it challenging to get a clear picture of the true state of the industry. This is the first attempt at aggregating data on the Top 100 races, and there may be mistakes or missed data. To make any corrections to the list or to obtain a spreadsheet with more comprehensive data, contact Eric Cone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the full report here: https://runsignup.wordpress.com/2019/02/05/top-100-road-races-2018-analysis
RunSignup is the leading all-in-one platform for endurance and fundraising events. More than 17,000 races, supporting over 7,000 nonprofits, use RunSignup’s free and integrated solution to save time, grow their events, and raise more. Built on a powerful CRM, RunSignup delivers the art of technology to power the entire race cycle, with promotional tools, registration, a full fundraising platform, and a suite of RaceDay products – including the runner-tracking app RaceJoy and race timing software, RaceDay Scoring. For more information, visit www.runsignup.com