IRONMAN Foundation to Support Multiple Initiatives in the Greater St. George Region Through Community Grant Funding
April 30, 2019
More than $25,000 in grant funding to be distributed at 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 North American Pro Championship St. George
TAMPA, Fla./ST. GEORGE, Utah – The IRONMAN Foundation® will distribute more than $25,000 in charitable giveback to nonprofit initiatives and groups in the greater Washington County region in conjunction with the 2019 IRONMAN® 70.3® North American Pro Championship St. George triathlon taking place on Saturday, May 4. This year’s grant funding brings the total giveback to more than $398,000 in the region since the first event in St. George in 2010.
The IRONMAN Foundation Community Fund provides community and volunteerism grant opportunities to nonprofit organizations where IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events are held. In 2019 the IRONMAN Foundation will distribute more than $1.8 million in grant funding to support the needs of IRONMAN race communities. Community grants will be awarded to six organizations in St. George and the surrounding areas. The grantees include:
- Assistance League of Southern Utah: The grant will provide homeless or impoverished families with the ability to purchase athletic shoes prior to the start of the school year.
- DOVE Center: The grant will support the Healthy Relationships curriculum for middle and high school students in area schools, providing broader prevention and awareness education on domestic and dating violence and assault.
- Girls on the Run Southern Utah: Grant funding will provide the opportunity for under-served girls to learn essential life skills and core values for living an emotionally healthy and active lifestyle.
- Roots for Kids: The grant will support the Root for Kids Early Intervention program, which assists hundreds of young children from birth to age five who have developmental delays to ensure that they are provided the appropriate services to have a successful start in life.
- Southern Utah Bicycle Alliance: The grant will support formal bicycle education programs throughout local elementary schools, which will encourage riding or walking to school and will give children the tools needed to confidently and safely ride their bikes.
- Washington City Community Band: The grant will provide additional opportunities for band members to hone their skills, collaborate with other local musicians, and enrich and entertain the community through live performances throughout Washington City and the greater Southern Utah area.
“It’s an honor to support so many local community organizations and their incredible initiatives,” said Sarah Hartmann, Executive Director of the IRONMAN Foundation. “Together we are creating a lasting and tangible impact here in Utah.”
About the IRONMAN Foundation
The IRONMAN Foundation® creates positive, tangible change in race communities by engaging athletes and volunteers to participate in programs that demonstrate service through sport and commitment to community. Since 2003, over $50,000,000 has been provided through IRONMAN charitable giveback programs including the IRONMAN Foundation to more than 8,300 local, regional, national and global nonprofit initiatives. Through these partnerships, IRONMAN and Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series athletes are powerfully linked to the community and together we leave the IRONMAN legacy behind in our race communities long after event day. For more information on IRONMAN Foundation programs, including Team IMF, Community Fund, Rock This Town™, Your Journey Your Cause, and Women For Tri, visit www.ironmanfoundation.org.
As part of Wanda Sports Holdings, the IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, Iron Girl®, IRONKIDS®, International Triathlon Union World Triathlon Series races, road cycling events including the UCI Velothon® Series, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, premier marathons including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, trail running like Ultra-Trail Australia™, and other multisport races. IRONMAN’s events, together with all other Wanda Sports Holdings events, provide more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. The iconic IRONMAN® Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN® brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Beginning as a single race, IRONMAN has grown to become a global sensation with more than 230 events across 53 countries. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
About Wanda Sports Holdings
Wanda Sports Holdings is the world’s leading sports business entity, founded to capture the opportunities in the global sports industry and to contribute to the prosperous international sports landscape – in three key areas: 1) Spectator Sports (media & marketing business), 2) Participation Sports (active lifestyle business), 3) Services (digital, production and service business). Wanda Sports Holding incorporates the international sports marketing company Infront Sports & Media, the iconic endurance brand IRONMAN, and Wanda Sports China. The headquarters are in Guangzhou, China.