Austin Marathon Announces Second Round of Accepted Elite Runners
December 27, 2019
Race weekend prize purse totals $26,000
AUSTIN, Texas, December 27, 2019 – The Ascension Seton Austin Marathon presented by Under Armour introduces the second round of accepted athletes for 2020. This program, in its fourth year, creates a competitive field of elite male and female runners while discovering emerging talent, pushing the entire talent pool to reach Olympic standards. FloTrack’s live coverage highlights the competition amongst the elites, following male and female marathoners and half marathoners. Elites are listed below along with their qualifying time. The 29th annual Austin Marathon, owned and produced by High Five Events, will take place on February 16, 2020.
“I am so excited to run the streets of Austin as my final tune-up race before the Olympic Trials marathon,” said Jessica Allen, who ran an Olympic Trials qualifying 2:41:34 earlier this year. “I always hope to set a personal record when I toe the line, but more than that I want to get used to the level of pain I will need to be comfortable with to achieve my goals at the Trials.”
The second round of 2020 Austin Marathoners include:
- Mark Pinales – male Elite Field (2017 3M Half Marathon champ – 1:06:51)
- Eliud Mwangi – male Elite Field (2017 Napoli City Half Marathon – 1:01:21)
- Ryan Normand – male Elite Field (2019 Grandma’s Marathon – 2:29:13)
The second round of 2020 Austin Half Marathoners include:
- James Ngandu – male Elite Athlete Program (2019 Austin Half Marathon champ – 1:04:32)
- Gonzalo Parra – male Elite Athlete Program (2nd place, 2019 Austin Half Marathon- 1:05:36)
- Jessica Allen – female Elite Athlete Program (2019 Grandma’s Marathon – 2:41:34)
- Anita Perez – female Elite Athlete Program (2018 Grandma’s Marathon – 2:29:39)
- Taylor Dare – female Elite Athlete Program (2019 Grandma’s Marathon – 2:42:17)
- Hattie Schunk – female Elite Field (2019 San Antonio Half Marathon – 1:23:56)
- Sierra Snyder Elcock – female Elite Field (2019 Austin Half Marathon – 1:26:34)
- Cheryl Serena – female Elite Field (2018 El Paso Half Marathon female champ – 1:27:47)
- Ben Munguia – male Elite Field (2019 3M Half Marathon – 1:16:39)
- Melinda DeBose – female Elite Field (2018 Richmond Half Marathon – 1:26:11)
The prize purse breakdown follows: $15,000 for the marathon, $5,000 for the half marathon, and $6,000 for the Manzano Mile presented by Dole. Runners not accepted into the Elite Athlete Program are still invited to run in the Elite Field. Runners that are not accepted to the Elite Athlete Program or the Elite Field are not eligible for prize money. Read about the first round of accepted elite runners.
The Austin Marathon will celebrate its 29th year running in the capital of Texas in 2020. Austin’s flagship running event annually attracts runners from all 50 states and 30+ countries around the world. Having start and finish locations just a few blocks apart, being within walking distance of many downtown hotels and restaurants, and finishing in front of the picturesque Texas State Capitol makes the Austin Marathon the perfect running weekend destination. Registration is currently open.
About High Five Events: Beginning with the launch of a single triathlon in 2003, High Five Events has grown to become one of the largest privately owned event production companies in the United States. High Five Events is a community-centric company based in Austin, Texas. Their staff has more than 100 years’ combined experience organizing large events across different venue types in a variety of locations.