UTMB World Series Confirms First Canadian Event, Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB
October 26, 2023
– Newly created Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB to welcome runners on September 28-29, 2024, offering distances of 100km, 50km and 25km
– Priority Registration for UTMB Index holders opens October 30 at whistler.utmb.world
WHISTLER, BC / CHAMONIX, France / TAMPA, Fla. (October 26, 2024) /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – The UTMB® World Series is heading to Canada for the first-time next year, with the confirmation that the breathtaking alpine playground of Whistler and the surrounding Sea-to-Sky corridor in British Columbia will host a brand-new event, the Ultra Trail Whistler™ by UTMB® on September 28-29, 2024. Three race distances of 100km, 50km and 25km will take runners on a journey that highlights the best of Whistler and its surrounding trails. Priority Registration opens for UTMB Index holders on October 30, 2023, with General Registration opening November 1 at whistler.utmb.world.
The Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB event has become the milestone 40th event confirmed for the 2024 UTMB World Series, and the eight event in North America. Further event announcements are still to come for next year, as the global circuit strives to give runners across the globe the chance to find a UTMB event closer to them.
A world-class, all-seasons destination Whistler Blackcomb is a permanent fixture on bucket lists around the world appealing to both discerning travellers and lovers of outdoor sports. Runners at the Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB races will not only experience epic glacier views, flowing creeks, and plenty of technical terrain, but a range of accommodation, food, and activities within the legendary resort.
“We are thrilled to serve as co-host of the Canadian stop on the UTMB® World Series circuit,” said Whistler Blackcomb COO Belinda Trembath. “The world’s best trail runners will get to experience the natural beauty, stunning mountain views, and world-class terrain of the unceded territories of the Squamish Nation and Lil’wat Nation – something our community is fortunate to be able to do every single day.”
Across three distances, the event challenges runners to tap into their inner strength to conquer the Fitzsimmons Mountain Range. The 100km queen-race packs nearly 5,000 meters (16,273ft) of elevation gain while the 50km course will test runners’ endurance as they take on over 3,300 meters (11,020ft) of elevation, with the 25km offering a challenge over 1,500 meters (5,036ft) of elevation. Runners will explore deep evergreen forest, stunning mountain lakes, and high alpine vistas as they take on the varied terrain and soak in the reward of alpine meadows, mountaintop views, and the satisfaction of crossing the finish line.
Race Director Christine Cogger said: “I am excited to welcome runners from around the world to experience the playground that is Whistler Blackcomb and the Sea-to-Sky trail network. We are grateful for the Lil’wat and Squamish People’s collaboration and use of their beautiful land, and we hope our runners appreciate it as much as we do.”
The Ultra Trail Whistler by UTMB logo was adapted from original artwork by Chief Ray of the Squamish Nation.
“In Whistler, Black Tusk is the perch of the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird was created to bring balance to the world and is the messenger of the Creator, a symbol of peace, power and unity. The moon is the one who brings light to the worlds when it’s dark, he is the grandfather who brings us calmness.”
With 40 events that are currently confirmed for the 2024 UTMB World Series across The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania, runners around the world have the chance to live the UTMB experience closer to home – and for those who dream to make it to the UTMB World Series Finals, they can collect Running Stones on their journey.
Runners can view the full calendar of events and choose their adventures here.
UTMB® World Series 2024 calendar (as of 26 October 2023)
- Tarawera Ultramarathon by UTMB®, New Zealand (17-18 February 2024)
- Chianti Ultra Trail by UTMB®, Italy (22-24 March 2024)
- Istria 100™ by UTMB®, Croatia (4-7 April 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Ninghai by UTMB®, China (April 2024)
- Desert RATS Trail Running Festival™ by UTMB®, USA (13-14 April 2024)
- The Canyons Endurance Runs™ by UTMB®, USA (26-27 April 2024)
- Amazean Jungle Thailand by UTMB®, Thailand (2-5 May 2024)
- Valhöll Argentina by UTMB®, Argentina (9-12 May 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB®, UK (10-12 May 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Australia by UTMB®, Australia (18-19 May 2024)
- Trail Alsace Grand-Est by UTMB®, France (17-20 May 2024)
- Mountain Ultra Trail™ by UTMB®, South Africa (24-26 May 2024)
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB®, France (14-16 June 2024)
- Trail 100 Andorra™ by UTMB®, Andorra (14-16 June 2024)
- Mozart 100™ by UTMB®, Austria (1 June 2024)
- Mauritius by UTMB®, Mauritius (22-23 June 2024)
- La Sportiva™ Lavaredo Ultra Trail™ by UTMB®, Italy (26-30 June 2024)
- Western States™ 100 Endurance Run, USA (29 June 2024)
- Trail Verbier St Bernard by UTMB®, Switzerland (5-7 July 2024)
- Val d’Aran by UTMB®, Spain (3-7 July 2024)
- Eiger Ultra-Trail™ by UTMB®, Switzerland (17-21 July 2024)
- Speedgoat™ Mountain Races by UTMB®, USA (19-20 July 2024)
- Restonica Trail by UTMB®, France (July 2024 TBC)
- Quito Trail by UTMB®, Ecuador (2-4 August 2024)
- KAT100™ by UTMB®, Austria (August 2024)
- Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc, France, Italy, Switzerland (26 August – 1 September 2024)
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB®, Slovenia (September 2024)
- Wildstrubel by UTMB®, Switzerland (September 2024)
- Grindstone Trail Running Festival™ by UTMB®, USA (20-21 September 2024)
- Paraty Brazil by UTMB®, Brazil (September 2024)
- Ultra Trail Whistler™ by UTMB®, Canada (28-29 September 2024)
- Nice Côte d’Azur by UTMB®, France (September 2024)
- Ultra Trail Mount Yun by UTMB®, China (September 2024)
- TransJeju by UTMB®, South Korea (October 2024)
- Kodiak Ultra Marathons™ by UTMB®, USA (11-12 October 2024)
- Puerto Vallarta México by UTMB®, Mexico (November 2024)
- Kullamannen™ by UTMB®, Sweden (November 2024)
- Translantau by UTMB®, Hong Kong (November 2024)
- Ultra-Trail Kosciuszko™ by UTMB®, Australia (December 2024)
- Doi Inthanon Thailand by UTMB®, Thailand (December 2024)
ABOUT WHISTLER BLACKCOMB
WHISTLER BLACKCOMB in British Columbia is North America’s largest ski resort offering year-round adventure for all ages and skill levels. Powder hounds, glade lovers and groomer aficionados won’t want to miss big mountain skiing and riding as winter brings an unmatched variety of terrain. With more than 8,000 skiable acres, 200+ runs, 16 alpine bowls and three glaciers, all serviced by 35 lifts – including the one-of-a-kind PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola, there’s something for everyone. Summer is also incredible, with plenty to do, from mountain biking in our world-class Whistler Mountain Bike Park, to sight-seeing and hiking more than 50km of high alpine trails, to incredible events and experiences on-mountain. Whatever the season, adventure awaits.
Whistler Blackcomb operates on the unceded territories of the Lil̓wat7úl (Lil’Wat) Nation and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nation, who have lived on these lands since time immemorial. The Whistler Blackcomb team has deep gratitude for the opportunity to live and work in this beautiful place, colonially known as Whistler. We encourage all guests of the resort to visit the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre for an opportunity to respectfully learn about these lands, their people and culture.
UTMB® World Series
UTMB® World Series is the world’s ultimate trail-running circuit that unites the sport’s biggest stars and passionate runners through the best, leading international events in the most stunning locations. Built on a passion for the mountains with sustainability at its heart, UTMB® World Series gives all trail runners the chance to experience the UTMB® adventure across the world, with events taking place across Asia, Oceania, Europe, Africa, and the Americas. It is the only place where runners can begin their quest to Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc, France, where the prestigious UTMB® World Series Finals will be held. Launched in May 2021 through the collaboration between the UTMB Group and The IRONMAN Group, the UTMB World Series circuit brings together many of the best international trail-running events on the planet. For more information, visit http://www.utmb.world.
Since the creation of Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc in 2003 by a group of passionate friends, UTMB Group has been the driving force behind the development of trail running. The Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc is the sports pinnacle event, and every year, 10,000 runners earn their place on the start line. UTMB Group also pioneered the LiveTrail® technology, an innovative digital service that supports the management of endurance races. Revered by hundreds of thousands of athletes, UTMB® has become a global, premium, and leading brand. In May 2021, UTMB Group partnered with The IRONMAN Group to launch the UTMB® World Series, now in its second year, which brings together many of the best international events on the planet to provide exclusive access to the sport’s pinnacle event, Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc. The UTMB® World Series is built on the founding principles of Dacia UTMB® Mont-Blanc: surpassing oneself; fair-play; respect for people and the environment; and solidarity. Find out more at www.utmb.world.
About The IRONMAN Group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll® Running Series, IRONKIDS®, World Triathlon Championship Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and City2Surf®, UTMB® World Series trail-running events including the Canyons Endurance Runs™ by UTMB®, Tarawera Ultra™ by UTMB® and Ultra-Trail Australia™ by UTMB®, Epic Series™ mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events including Haute Route®, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Catering to the full athlete experience, the company portfolio also includes FulGaz® virtual cycling, the most realistic indoor riding experience connected fitness application aimed at preparing athletes for real-world events. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events across 55+ countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance, a private, family-owned business, and Orkila Capital, a growth equity firm focused on building great brands. For more information, visit www.ironman.com/about-ironman-group.