Digital platform to be utilized on Saturday at Rock ‘n’ Roll DC
SAN DIEGO, CA – March 11, 2016– The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series has introduced a new online Finisher Zone for race participants. Runners can access real time results, earn virtual badges, compare expected time to performance time, and customize their finisher certificate all through the new digital platform.
The innovative Finisher Zone allows runners to see and share their personalized race story. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series is the only event to offer limited edition badges to display accomplishments and special race moments of every runner. Badges are awarded to all finishers based on result placement and special highlights from each course. Runners are also assigned a rock band persona, from lead singer to keyboardist, based on overall placement. Results and badges are easily shared on social media platforms for runners to show off their accomplishments to friends and family.
“Each race is a journey, and every runner has a story,” said Keith Kendrick, CMO of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series. “The new Finisher Zone and digital badges allow our runners to celebrate their achievement and share their experience.”
On the new platform, runners can earn prizes through the Lucky Finisher program. For each race, participants will be chosen at random to receive prizes such as a pair of Jaybird headphones or a free flight from Alaska Airlines. Runners are automatically entered to win upon finishing and will receive a special badge if selected.
The Finisher Zone is divided into eight interactive tabs:
- Race results – view split times, pace, place and expected time vs. performance time
- Place is broken down into overall, age group and gender group
- Photos – easily access race day photos from MarathonFoto
- Earned Badges – collect the badges you’ve earned based on your place and memorable moments of the race
- Course stats – compare your pace and time to those of the entire field in 5km intervals
- Speedometer – check your running speed and consistency throughout the race
- What’s Next – see what’s recommended next for each runner such as recovery tips and presale for next year
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Assessment – receive your rock ‘n’ roll band persona and see how you rocked the race
- Digital certificate – customize your finisher’s certificate with results, rock ‘n’ roll assessment, and earned badges; then share with friends and family
The newly designed platform was introduced for Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah on November 7-8, 2015 and is now being unveiled as the official Finisher Zone for Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series. Through four events, the new Finisher Zone generated over 250,000 impressions on Facebook alone.
The digital platform will be used in full effect at the Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Marathon & ½ Marathon. More than 24,000 runners from 47 countries and all 50 states will hit the pavement on Saturday, March 12 for the marathon, half-marathon, or 5K. As the only marathon to run completely in DC city limits, runners will get a first class tour of our nation’s capital while live bands and musicians entertain them as they make their way to the finish line.
Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Marathon & ½ Marathon and 5K will take off at 7:30 am. The marathon and half-marathon courses will start simultaneously on Constitution Avenue at 14th Street. Runners will pass major national buildings and symbols such as the White House, the Washington Monument, the National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial.
The event concludes with a headliner concert and finish line festival at RFK Stadium. Old school funk band Tower of Power will rock the post-race Toyota Rock ‘n’ Roll Concert Series. The concert is free and open to the public.
Race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo where runners can pick up their race weekend packet. Exhibitors will offer free samples, showcase the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. The Expo takes place on Thursday, March 10 from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Friday, March 11 from 10:00 am to 5:00 p.m. The Expo is free and open to the public, located at The DC Armory.