PeaceHealth AppleTree Marathon Festival winning the race!
September 4, 2019
Vancouver WA shines on the 2nd
Vancouver WA is all the buzz with their incredible new waterfront that continues to expand with exciting dining opportunities. Amidst all this development, Vancouver is also prepping for their 2nd annual PeaceHealth AppleTree Marathon Festival on September 14th and 15th. Vancouver and Portland both have experienced their fair share of marathon scandals, corruption, cancellations and errors in course lengths killing runners’’ dreams of qualifying for the coveted Boston Marathon so everyone in Vancouver breathed a sigh of relief when the event went off without a hitch last year. The reviews and positive posts on social media forecasted continual growth and success of the event paving the path to a marathon event that the Northwest can be proud of.
Sherri McMillan, race director for the PeaceHeath AppleTree Marathon festival, notes, “This festival bring us back to the roots of running with a wholesome, community-minded event. Which other marathon can boast that their Mayor is baking Apple pies for the Overall Champions?!” McMillan continues. “We have police officers running in full uniform to raise funds for the Police Activities League, an organization that develops positive relationships with youth and police in our community. Also, $1 from each registration will be donated to our beautiful and historical Fort Vancouver National Park. The festival even offers Kids 17 and under the opportunity to race the 5K for free encouraging kids to get off their electronic devices and learn that being healthy and active is fun. With that kind of give back, runners and walkers can feel really good about participating in this event.”
Here’s a list of some of the unique and special features of the PeaceHealth AppleTree Festival on September 14th & 15th:
- The Police Activities League (PAL) will be the main beneficiary of the event with a mission to build healthy character in youth through activities connecting kids, cops and community. Many local officers will be running the event to raise funds for PAL and some will even be running in full uniform.
- $1 from each registration will be donated to the Friends of the Fort
- The tagline of APPLETREE is a ‘Run through History’ on a fast and extremely scenic course through historical landmarks including Fort Vancouver, Officer’s Row, the Army Barracks, Pearson Airport, the Historical Old Apple Tree, along the majestic Columbia River and many other historical vantage points. Runners and walkers will enjoy beautiful views of Mount Hood, both Interstate bridges, Marine Park, Wintler Park & more. There’s so much to see that the miles will fly by!
- Heavily supported, and energetic event with Water Stations and Entertainment at EVERY mile!
- 3 Distances – Marathon, Half Marathon & Sunset 5K allows the opportunity for everyone to participate! This will be a perfect event for a 1st Marathon or Half Marathon!
- So much more than a banana and bagel! Post-event meal, party, expo and music at the Eatery at the Historical Grant House who will be catering the post-event meal serving Burgers, potato salad and of course, apple desert!
- Big Bling and SWAG! The medal is big, the shirt is technical and the artsy gear bag designed by local artist courtesy of PeaceHealth will be full of incredible perks including a PeaceHealth AppleTree towel, commemorative running gloves, Whimsy Chocolates, Kind snack bars and more
- Live Entertainment! Patrick Lamb on Saturday night after the Sunset 5K and Dogs & Beer on Sunday
- Kids 17 and under race the Sunset 5K for FREE. Teaching kids that exercise can be fun!
- Athletes who race Saturday AND Sunday have the opportunity to earn the coveted BEAST medal! WHY? Because only a BEAST would attempt that!
- 2 Loop Marathon course – A 2-loop marathon course offers many advantages including the ability to provide more water stations, support, entertainment and spectators along the course and the ability to keep the course very scenic. It will be an extremely supported event for the first time Marathoner and a fast event for our experienced athletes who are looking for a Personal Best or a qualifying time.
- Wellness Lounge courtesy of PeaceHealth with massage/stretching stations
- Word is getting around – There are currently athletes registered from 7 countries including Canada, Mexico, Germany, Denmark, Ireland, Romania, and USA representing from 23 states!
- Community Support – When you’re doing things right, people jump on board. PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center has come on board as the title sponsor and will be managing the Wellness area, two water stations and providing a unique, custom SWAG bag and towel for all athletes. Deschutes Brewery Beer will be the official Beer sponsor and Portland Cider will be providing Apple Cider for athletes! Corwin Beverage and Don Francisco’s Coffee will also be available to offer additional hydration; Franz Bakery and KIND Snacks will be adding to the menu; iQ Credit Union has signed on to provide FREE Race photos for all athletes and many other sponsors and vendors have already committed to making this a world-class event.
WHAT: APPLETREE Marathon, Half Marathon & Sunset 5K
WHEN:Saturday & Sunday September 14th & 15th, 2019
Schedule of events:
Saturday Sept. 14th at 6pm – 5K Sunset Run
- Patrick Lamb takes the stage at 6:30pm so come on out and enjoy
Sunday Sept. 15th – Marathon start 7am – Half Marathon start at 8am
WHERE: Starting on Officer’s Row in front of the Grant House
HOW:Registration and all details at https://whyracingevents.com/appletree-marathon/
WHY: To host a World-Class Marathon event that supports our local community
NOTE: WHY Racing events is reserving volunteer spots for local schools, clubs, teams and non-profits that would like to earn donations to their cause by volunteering at the event. Volunteer assignments include water stations, course marshals, finish line and more. Email email@example.com if your group is interested in supporting this event and earning donations.
About the PeaceHealth AppleTree Marathon Festival– The PeaceHealth AppleTree Marathon’s theme is a “Run Through History” and will route runners through key historic Vancouver landmarks and buildings, including Fort Vancouver and the Army Barracks, Officer’s Row, Pearson Airport, and past the northwest’s oldest living apple tree. The marathon is a flat and fast Boston Qualifying two-loop course that will be spectator friendly and offer a unique and beautiful run for participants. The runs will have water stations every mile and plenty of entertainment to keep runners motivated. This event has already proven to be a popular draw for both elite runners and first-timers. The PeaceHealth AppleTree will also provide post-event meal and party, including free beer courtesy of Deschutes Brewery, free cider courtesy of Portland Cider, a T-shirt, medal, and gift bag.The Eatery at the Grant House, located on historical Officers Row, is catering the post-event meals on Saturday and Sunday and tickets are available for spectators.
About Why Racing Events:
Why Racing Events is a multi-sport event management organization that offers athletes of all ages and abilities, from the elite level to the back-of-the-packers, the chance to successfully complete a racing event. They host a series of events every year from March to October, including children’s races, fun runs, half marathons, marathons, duathlons and triathlons. They are committed to providing a positive experience to everyone involved while raising awareness and funds for important community causes. Find out more information about Why Racing Events at www.whyracingevents.com