Endurance Sports Coronavirus Daily News Updates
March 25, 2020
Endurance Sportswire is providing timely and pertinent articles and news updates specific to coronavirus and the running, cycling and triathlon industries.
Additionally, click HERE to see the most updated list of cancelled/postponed running, cycling and triathlon events in the United States.
NEWS UPDATES 3/24
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics officially postponed until 2021. Read more HERE.
- 2020 U.S. Olympic Track and Field trials rescheduled after Olympic postponement. Read more HERE.
NEWS UPDATES 3/23
- The following states have Stay at Home orders in place: Californial, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and West Virginia.
- British Cycling extends suspension on sanctioned cycling activities to June 30. Read more on the British Cycling site HERE.
- Canada will not send athletes to a summer 2020 Olympic Games if it happens as scheduled and USATF has called for postponement. Read more HERE.
NEWS UPDATES 3/19
- Santini to start making face masks instead of cycling clothing. Read more HERE.
- Running USA held a valuable webinar on the subject of Event Cancellations. You can view it HERE.
- USA Swimming now mandating cancellation of sanctioned events through April. Read more HERE.
NEWS UPDATES 3/17
- Running USA held an excellent webinar titled, “Virtual Race Camp: Crisis Management” that included much discussion among race directors and service providers sharing best practices, valuable resources and experiences related to cancelled and postponed race events happening now. You can listen to it HERE.
- Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has announced a series of measures being take due to coronavirus. Read more HERE.
- British Cycling has suspended all of its sanctioned, cycling activities, initially until April 30. Read more HERE.
NEWS UPDATES 3/16
- USA Cycling is suspending permits on all events through April 5th. MORE
- Spain bans cycling amid coronavirus outbreak. Read more on Cyclist.
- Cycling: UCI Seeks Retroactive End to Olympic Qualifying Process. Read more on New York Times.
- Coronavirus made races unsafe, so athletes and organizers are turning to simulations. Read more on Mashable.
- For those who want a better understanding of the costs behind running an event and why race refunds are not always possible read, “Why Can’t I Just Get a Refund? And Other Emails to RDs in the COVID-19 Era” on Slowtwitch HERE.
- Spartan to postpone all races for next 30 days. Read more on Obstacle Racing Media.
- Here are just a few of the outdoor/sports retailers that announced they were shutting their doors today – Patagonia, REI, Lululemon, Nike, and Under Armor.
NEWS UPDATES 3/13
- Numerous IRONMAN events has been postponed. MORE
- The Boston Marathon has been rescheduled and will now be taking place on September 14, More info on their site HERE.
NEWS UPDATES 3/12/20
- The London Bike Show which was scheduled for this month and hosts 50,000 attendees, has been moved to July 3-5, 2020. MORE
- USA Cycling announced that in light of COVID-19 and concerns for the well-being of the community, USA Cycling is working to bring all athletes, coaches, and support staff back to the United States from locations abroad. MORE
- Governor Gavin Newsom ordered Californians to cancel or postpone gatherings of 250 or more people statewide. Many other states have similar orders. MORE
- IRONMAN issued a statement regarding race cancellations/postponements. IRONMAN Puerto Rico 70.3 and SUPERSEAL Triathlon were cancelled yesterday. Ongoing updates about their events can be found HERE.
- On a related note, Rock ‘n’ Roll Washington DC Marathon was postponed. Updates on all RNR Marathon events can be found HERE.