BolderBOULDER announces Team USA for 2015 International Team Challenge
May 14, 2015
BOULDER, COLO. (May 14, 2015) – BolderBOULDER, America’s All-Time Best 10K, today announced the Americans that will make-up team USA in the 2015 BolderBOULDER International Team Challenge. This year, American teams Red, White and Blue will be determined after all athletes cross the line, making it a race within a race.
“This year the nine American men and women won’t be placed on teams until they cross the finish line. The first three racers in the men’s and women’s races that finish will be placed on Team Red, the next three will be Team White and the last three, Team Blue,” said BolderBOULDER pro athlete coordinator, Don Janicki. “We are really excited to see how the new format for American athletes will play-out, we think it will make for a very exciting and competitive race!”
Members of the Men’s Team USA Include:
- Aaron Braun: Adams State graduate and runner.
- Patrick Smyth: 7-time All-American at theUniversity of Norte Da
- Abdi Abdirahman: 2008 and 2012 member of theUS Olympic team.
- Bobby Curtis: Finished 2nd overall at the U.S. Olympic Trials in the 10K.
- Jared Ward: The top American finisher at the 2015 L.A. Marathon.
- Sean Quigley: Won the USA 7 Mile Championship in 2014.
- ParkerStinson: 9-time All-American at the University of Oregon.
- Brian Shrader: Won the US National 12K in 2014.
- Augustus Maiyo: Won the Marine Corps Marathon in 2012.
Members of the Women’s Team USA Include:
- Kristen Zaitz: Set a course record and won the 2015 Austin Half Marathon.
- Neely Spence: Eight time NCAA DII National Champion at Shippensburg University.
- Brianne Nelson: Fort Lewis graduate and runne
- Mattie Suver: Set a personal best 10K time earlier this monthin Palo Alto with a time of 31:54:43.
- Renee Bailee: University of Colorado runner and graduate.
- Alisha Williams: Set a course record at the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon in 2014.
- Amy Van Alstine: Won the 8K at the US Cross CountryChampionships in Boulder in 2014.
- Kara Lubieniecki: Skechers Performance athle
- Addie Bracy: Hudson Elite athlet
In addition to the American athletes competing at this year’s race, the BolderBOULDER will also be welcoming back altitude-trained Team Eritrea, who will be a fierce competitor for teams Ethiopia and Kenya.
“Based on the teams and athletes continuing to commit, the BolderBOULDER will host another high level international field,” said BolderBOULDER Race Director, Cliff Bosley. “Top ranked teams including Mexico, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Kenya race well at BolderBOULDER because they are altitude and marathon-trained athletes.”
The BolderBOULDER created the International Team Challenge in 1998, which includes professional runners from all over the world that compete on three-person teams in a team by country format, for one of the largest non-marathon prize purse in the country. In 2014, athletes that competed in the BolderBOULDER earned more than $150,204. This year’s total prize purse is valued at $110,600 before bonuses. The men’s and women’s professional races follow the BolderBOULDER course and are scheduled to finish in a packed stadium at the University of Colorado’s Folsom Field before the Memorial Day Tribute.
The International Team Challenge will take place at the BolderBOULDER on Monday, May 25th with the women’s race beginning at 11:15 AM and the men’s race beginning at 11:26 AM.
Not all international teams are confirmed. Roster subject to change.