Austin Marathon Announces First Round of Accepted Elite Runners
November 8, 2019
Race weekend prize purse totals $26,000
AUSTIN, Texas, November 8, 2019 – The Ascension Seton Austin Marathon presented by Under Armour introduces the first round of accepted athletes for 2020. This program, in its fourth year, creates a competitive field of elite male and female runners while discovering emerging talent, pushing the entire talent pool to reach Olympic standards. FloTrack’s live coverage highlights the competition amongst the elites, following male and female marathoners and half marathoners. The 29th annual Austin Marathon, owned and produced by High Five Events, will take place on February 16, 2020.
“I’m thrilled to join the Elite Athlete Program at the Austin Marathon,” said Keri McEntee, who ran an Olympic Trials qualifying 2:41:19 at 2019 Grandma’s Marathon. “I’m excited to compete against other elite runners, see the city, and enjoy some warmer weather!”
The first round of 2020 Austin Marathoners include:
- Keri McEntee – female Elite Athlete Program (2020 Olympic Marathon Trials Qualifier – 2:41:19)
- Daniel Bishop – male Elite Athlete Program (2018 St. George Marathon – 2:23:37)
- Sarah Jackson – female Elite Field (2018 Austin Marathon – 2:58:41)
- Adam Lazrus – male Elite Field (2018 Tunnel Lite Marathon – 2:37:31)
- Valentyna Poltavska – female Elite Field (2019 Houston Marathon – 2:52:49)
- Matt McCurdy – male Elite Field (2019 3M Half Marathon – 1:11:55)
The first round of 2020 Austin Half Marathoners include:
- Heidi Bock – female Elite Field (2019 Woodlands Half Marathon – 1:23:36)
- Todd Mickey – male Elite Field (2019 Austin Half Marathon – 1:16:33)
- Maura Tyrrell – female Elite Field (2nd place female, 2019 Myrtle Beach Half Marathon – 1:22:47)
- Steve Purugganan – male Elite Field (2018 San Jose Half Marathon – 1:15:52)
- Adam Moore – male Elite Field (2019 Ohio Cap City Half Marathon – 1:15:23)
- Carolyn Menard – female Elite Field (2019 Urban Cow Half Marathon – 1:26:13)
- Rebecca Marrou – female Elite Field (2018 Run the Alamo Half Marathon female champion – 1:24:18)
- Julia Vegas – female Elite Field (2019 Austin Half Marathon – 1:26:28)
“The investments we’ve made into the Elite Athlete Program are beginning to bear fruit with the overall growth and several elites qualifying for the Olympic Marathon Trials,” said Jack Murray, co-owner of High Five Events. “The competition adds another layer of excitement to an already energetic Austin Marathon weekend.”
The prize purse breakdown follows: $15,000 for the marathon, $5,000 for the half marathon, and $6,000 for the Manzano Mile presented by Dole. Runners not accepted into the Elite Athlete Program are still invited to run in the Elite Field. Runners that are not accepted to the Elite Athlete Program or the Elite Field are not eligible for prize money.
The Austin Marathon will celebrate its 29th year running in the capital of Texas in 2020. Austin’s flagship running event annually attracts runners from all 50 states and 30+ countries around the world. Having start and finish locations just a few blocks apart, being within walking distance of many downtown hotels and restaurants, and finishing in front of the picturesque Texas State Capitol makes the Austin Marathon the perfect running weekend destination. Registration is currently open.
About High Five Events: Beginning with the launch of a single triathlon in 2003, High Five Events has grown to become one of the largest privately owned event production companies in the United States. High Five Events is a community-centric company based in Austin, Texas. Their staff has more than 100 years’ combined experience organizing large events across different venue types in a variety of locations.