Abbott World Marathon Majors Launches New Documentary Series
August 16, 2023
- Six Star Stories – a three-part series starring runners completing their sixth and final AbbottWMM race
- Runners from three different continents chosen as the subjects for first ever series produced by AbbottWMM
AUGUST 16, 2023 /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – ABBOTT WORLD MARATHON MAJORS has created its first documentary mini-series, Six Star Stories.
As the number of runners completing all six AbbottWMM races surges towards the 13,000 mark, this new series focuses on the stories of three runners who completed their journey to the Six Star medal during the spring 2023 Majors, joining the Six Star Finisher hall of fame.
- Thomas Eller, from the city of Essen in Germany, became the world’s first deaf-born Six Star Finisher in March 2023 at the Tokyo Marathon
- Alexandria Williams, a leading figure in the Black Unicorns community that celebrates the participation of black runners in the Boston Marathon, where she would strive for the third time to complete the race and earn her Six Star medal
- And Yuki Kawauchi, the elite Japanese athlete who shot to fame by winning the 2018 Boston Marathon. Yuki arrived in London in April 2023 in a bid to complete his own Six Star journey.
Each film follows these runners at home and in their communities before tracking their journey on race day as they seek to reach their final destination.
“We wanted to go deeper than ever before with our storytelling through this series,” said AbbottWMM’s chief content officer Danny Coyle.
“There is a unique story behind every Six Star journey that underlines the personal struggle and sacrifice these runners make to get all the way to that moment they receive their medal. In sharing these stories, we hope to inspire thousands more to start or continue their own journey. We see through these three examples that the medal can mean as much to an elite athlete as it does to a back-of-the-pack six-hour runner.
“They share the same roads and the same end goal, and that’s the power of the marathon. It’s evident in these three stories that that power is alive and well.”
The first Episode of Six Star Stories, Thomas is released at 6.30pm BST on August 17 and can be viewed on Abbott World Marathon Majors’ YouTube and Facebook channels.
It will be followed by Alex on August 24, with Yuki following in early September.
Where to watch:
More about each episode in the series can be found here.
FURTHER ENQUIRIES: Please contact Danny Coyle at email@example.com
ABOUT ABBOTT WORLD MARATHON MAJORS
The Abbott World Marathon Majors (AbbottWMM) is a series of six of the largest and most renowned marathons in the world – Tokyo Marathon, B.A.A. Boston Marathon, TCS London Marathon, BMW BERLIN-MARATHON, Bank of America Chicago Marathon and TCS New York City Marathon.
Encompassing an annual series for elite runners and elite wheelchair athletes, AbbottWMM also applauds the achievements and passion of everyday champions from around the world. The AbbottWMM Six Star System is an online results hub that celebrates every runner who has completed from one to six of the races in the series and encourages them to ‘Reach for the Stars’.
The AbbottWMM launched the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings in 2018 and the second AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championship race will take place on October 2, 2022, as part of the TCS London Marathon.
The AbbottWMM Global Run Club launched in August 2020 and aims to bring together the global community of marathon runners on a virtual platform.
For more information, visit www.Abbottwmm.com