2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock Triathlon designated as IRONMAN 70.3 North American Triclub Championship – Central Region
February 4, 2021
- IRONMAN TriClub Championship Series expands to fourth regional event in the United States with addition of Lubbock - General Registration for 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock open at www.ironman.com/im703-lubbock
LUBBOCK, Texas / TAMPA, Fla. (February 4, 2021) – IRONMAN® today announced that the IRONMAN®70.3® Lubbock triathlon taking place on June 27, 2021 will be designated as the IRONMAN 70.3 North American TriClub Championship – Central Region for 2021. Lubbock joins the 2021 Global TriClub Championship Series as the seventh event internationally and the fourth within the United States. General Registration for IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock is currently open by visiting, www.ironman.com/im703-lubbock.
“A regional TriClub Championship in Lubbock is the perfect addition to our TriClub Championship Series and a celebration of the community that drives us,” said Earl Walton, Global Director, Training and Coaching for The IRONMAN Group. “We have seen the impact that TriClub’s have on our events, and the energy and excitement they bring in building a sense of community is incredibly important. Our athletes can’t wait to get back to competition and the camaraderie of IRONMAN racing, and we can’t wait to host a great TriClub Championship in Lubbock.
Situated in Northwestern Texas, the City of Lubbock is built on hard work and grit, much like triathletes. With offerings from cultural festivals to well-known BBQ joints to classical symphony concerts, Lubbock has a taste of something for every visitor. As a staple event for over 30 years, IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock continues to be the longest running IRONMAN 70.3 race in Texas and one of the oldest in the United States.
Introduced in 2012, the IRONMAN TriClub Program was designed to help bring together the triathlon community through the growth of TriClub’s, while providing networking and friendly competition opportunities.Throughout the year, participating clubs earn points every time their athletes cross an IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 finish line. Each club is assigned a division based on the club’s membership size. The IRONMAN TriClub program has grown to host over 2,900 active clubs housing over 66,000 athletes.
The Global TriClub Championship series events is the yearly highpoint of the IRONMAN TriClub Program. Globally all clubs registered with IRONMAN have the opportunity to compete for the ultimate prize – being crowned a TriClub Champion. Championship events feature exclusive benefits and the chance to compete against other clubs.
2021 IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 North American TriClub Championship Schedule:
- East Region: IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman (June 13) – Designed as 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 North American TriClub Championship – East, IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman is a precursor to IRONMAN Maryland, and partaking of much of the same course, this race has been popular among triathletes based in the area for years. Traversing through the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and the historic streets of Cambridge, there is no shortage of sites to see while on course. Combine that with the welcoming community of athletes and locals, and this is a race for everyone. IRONMAN 70.3 Eagleman will take place on June 13, 2021.
- Central Region: IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock (June 27)–The IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock triathlon begins with a 1.2-mile swim in Historic Dunbar Lake. Once on the bike, athletes will experience everything from flat and fast to challenging hills with scenic views of Yellow House Canyons. To close out the 70.3-mile journey, athletes will have a high-energy run that traverses through the beautiful Texas Tech campus and the surrounding Lubbock area. The 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Lubbock triathlon will offer 2 handcycle slots to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship®in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i, as well as 60 qualifying slots and 2 handcycle slots to the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship in St. George, Utah.
- West Region: IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz (Sept. 12) –The2021 IRONMAN 70.3 North American TriClub Championship – West, builds on the history of one of California’s longest-running events. Santa Cruz has all things outdoors; surf, sand, and sun.From historic lighthouses, Santa Cruz Surfing Museum to the Beach Boardwalk and the Santa Cruz Wharf. A California coastline course with a beach finish line. IRONMAN 70.3 Santa Cruz is a must-do event for an athlete looking to add a low-key end of season race to their 2021 calendar, taking place on Sept. 12, 2021.
- Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee, A Family Bakery (Sept. 26) – Situated in southeast corner of Tennessee, USA, the Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented By: McKee, A Family Bakery triathlon is one of four TriClub Championships located in North America. With a downriver swim, a bike course that winds through the backcountry roads, and a run through the vibrant downtown of Chattanooga, there is a reason this event is always popular with IRONMAN athletes. Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by: McKee, A Family Bakery triathlon will take place on Sept. 26, 2021.
Seven events across three regions currently make up the Global TriClub Championship Series in 2021, including: IRONMAN®Australia, Little Debbie IRONMAN® Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery, IRONMAN®70.3® Eagleman, IRONMAN®70.3® Jönköping, IRONMAN®70.3® Lubbock, IRONMAN®70.3® Port Macquarie, and IRONMAN®70.3® Santa Cruz. To learn more about each of these TriClub Championship events, visit www.ironman.com/races.
For more information about the IRONMAN TriClub Program, to register your club or find a club, visit www.ironman.com/triclubs. Inquiries about the program may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the IRONMAN brand and global event series, please visit www.ironman.com. Media may contact email@example.com.
About The IRONMAN Group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN®70.3® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ Series, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and The Sun-Herald City2Surf®, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events across 55+ countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance, a private, family-owned business. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
Advance is a private, family-held business that owns and invests in companies across media, entertainment, technology, communications, education and other promising growth sectors. Our mission is to build the value of our companies over the long-term by fostering growth and innovation. Advance’s portfolio includes Condé Nast, Advance Local, Stage Entertainment, The IRONMAN Group, American City Business Journals, Leaders Group, Turnitin, 1010data and Pop. Together these operating companies employ more than 17,000 people in 29 countries. Advance is also among the largest shareholders in Charter Communications, Discovery and Reddit. For more information visit www.advance.com.