Charities will be the big winners as event gears up to double last year’s goal - Event dates: Friday, May 5 through Sunday, May 7, 2017 www.ocmarathon.com
[Orange County, CA.] – Making miles matter. . . The 2017 U.S. Bank OC Marathon (OCM) has a goal: to help their charities raise $1 million, nearly double the amount they raised last year. The world-class race has generated $5 million for local and national causes since its inception in 2004. This year it kicks off on Saturday, May 6th, and spans three races in two days: the Wahoo’s OC 5K, the Half Marathon and the Full Marathon. Runners can choose from 30 official OCM charities or select their own. “Running a marathon or half marathon offers a tremendously compelling way to raise money for something bigger than yourself,” says Gary Kutscher, long-time OCM director. “Raising money for Leukemia Team in Training is what prompted me to start running at the 1996 Honolulu Marathon. I remember how excited I was to open my mailbox and find $100 checks from people I didn’t even know who were supporting my cause.”
Charities of all sizes have deeply benefitted from funds raised through the OCM, including the four “Champion Charities”: John Wayne Cancer Foundation, OC Bar Foundation, OM Foundation and Marketplace Ministries Worldwide.
“We’re thrilled to continue our longstanding partnership with the OC Marathon,” says Tiffani Copeland, Vice President of the John Wayne Cancer Foundation. “This will be our biggest year yet as we work towards our fundraising goal of $200,000 for the 2017 marathon!”
The OC Bar Foundation has raised over $600,000 during their 13-year partnership with the OCM. Executive Director, Karen Ruan, says, “[We’re] more visible and have been able to reach a much larger population. The OC Marathon has been excellent in promoting the charities they support.”
“The OC Marathon is super fun and makes it easy to reach a much broader audience,” says Jeff Davis, Board of Directors for Marketplace Ministries, now enjoying its third year as an OCM charity partner. “The running community is a generous subculture, and we’re grateful for their support. We’re sold on this event!”
The U.S. Bank OC Marathon needs your help! There are many ways to fundraise and participate:
- RUN FOR FREE FOR A CAUSE – Registration fees will be covered when participants run for charity with a minimum fundraising goal. Runners can pick from the four “Champion Charities” or from one of the other 25+ charity partners. Participants can even opt to run for a cause of their own.
- ONE AND DONE! – Once registered for the Run for Free Program on the OCM Crowdrise page, there is no need to register for the race through traditional channels: https://www.crowdrise.com/ocmarathon2017
- CORPORATE CHALLENGE – Brand new to the 2017 race, the Corporate Challenge lets businesses of all sizes bond over fitness, philanthropy and fun. Prizes will be given to the top-earning runners and teams of runners, including the Most Philanthropic Firm award, bestowed upon the businesses in each of 3 size categories who raise the most funds.
- DONATION ELATION – Not running the race? You or your business can still reap the joys of giving by supporting a runner or by helping a team reach their financial goal — or by simply donating directly to one of the worthy charities or volunteering at the event. Go to ocmarathon.com.
- CHARITY PARTNER PROGRAM – There is still time to partner up! Open to both local and national non-profit organizations, this program is designed to directly connect the running community with worthwhile causes for the benefit of all. Participants easily access charities through the OCM’s Crowdrise page. Go to: http://www.ocmarathon.com/for-community/charity.
- SPONSORSHIP – The numbers say it all: The OCM 2017 is expecting 15,000 in the Full, Half and 5K, and another 10,000 children in the Kids Run the OC. Over 2,500 volunteers and thousands of spectators will be at the three-day event, offering sponsors widespread exposure to the active lifestyle community in a truly positive setting. For sponsorship opportunities, email email@example.com or call 949-222-0456 ext. 2.
Like more info? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Bank OC Marathon: Making Miles Matter.