Road Race Management has released the results of its bi-annual Race Directors’ Compensation survey.
Survey respondents felt that income growth is likely to remain flat for most in the coming year.
- 23.5 % said their income will rise
- 63.2 % said their income will stay the same
- The remainder project a drop in income
While not a dismal picture by any means, it does portend income challenges for the profession.
Some other key findings of the study:
- The number of race directors that describe themselves as full-time has not changed in the past two years and remains at 43%.
- Almost one in four manage just one event, while nearly three quarters direct two or more events and 20% direct 10 or more.
- About 80% of race directors reported they are compensated.
- There has been a sharp rise in the number of new race directors.
- Approximately half earn more than $50,000 annually, and about 20% make over $100,000, and 10% over $150,000. These figures are flat compared to the last study undertaken two years ago.
- 30% receive no fringe benefits, while about 25% get some other benefits such as insurance or 401K’s.
- Other popular perks are travel to educational meetings or other events, but only around half of the respondents get this benefit.
For the first time the study looked at assistant directors. About 42% of the events surveyed had a number two who is compensated with pay ranging from over $100,000 to less than $10,000. Over a third make more than $50,000.
Road Race Management (www.rrm.com) is a member-based organization of race directors, running club officials, and running industry businesses and organizations. Members receive Road Race Management newsletter 11 times a year. In addition to conducting its annual Race Directors’ Meeting, Road Race Management just published the Second Edition of Organizing Running Events: The Complete Guide to Staging a Successful Road Race.
The survey is available for purchase by sending a check for $20.00 (payable to Road Race Management) to: RRM Compensation Survey, 4963 Elm Street, Suite 106, Bethesda, MD 20814.
Contact: Jeff Darman, 610-925-1976, email@example.com