USA Cycling Partners with Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit to Help Fuel Your Rides
July 2, 2021
Fuel your rides all summer long with the help of these vitamin-C licious golden kiwis
Colorado Springs, CO (July 2, 2021) – USA Cycling is proud to announce Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit as an official sponsor for the summer cycling season. With a combination of more than 20 vitamins and minerals1 and three times the vitamin C in a medium orange2,* per serving (2 kiwifruit), Zespri SunGold Kiwis are the perfect pre and post ride snack that has the nutrients to help cyclists of all levels fuel up and recover while training and racing this summer.
Zespri is thrilled to champion members and athletes across the country by offering delicious and nutritious snacking options that don’t compromise on taste. Never tried a SunGold Kiwi? Zespri invites you taste it to believe it. As part of the partnership, Zespri will provide USA Cycling members with access to secure free pack coupons and more in their exclusive rider bags, through virtual fitness challenges and more.
“We’re excited to support USA Cycling members and athletes across the U.S. by providing them with delicious taste and nutritional benefits of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit,” said Jeanne Wilson, Head of Marketing, Zespri North America. “Cyclists will love the refreshing burst of tropical-sweetness they taste when scooping into SunGold kiwis, while getting the carbohydrates, potassium and vitamin C they need to help them pedal to the finish line.”
Just one serving of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit includes:
- 26 grams of carbohydrates for energy– count on the carbs in Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit for optimal mental and physical performance.3,4 Carbohydrate is the primary fuel for your brain and a key source of energyfor muscles to keep your body energized so you can maximize your performance.3
- A good source of potassium, providing as much potassium as a medium-sized banana5, **– perfect for aiding muscle, cardiovascular and nervous system function during long endurance events.
- An excellent source of vitamin C, providing a whopping 290% of the recommended daily value– vitamin C is an antioxidant that aids in collagen production, a major component of muscle tissue, helps you stay energized, and supports iron absorption.6
- 100 calories –adequate energy intake is needed to fuel daily life as well as workouts and it’s critical to eat the appropriate number of calories to match energy needs.
- A combination of over 20 essential vitamins and minerals to meet the nutritional needs of active people.1
“We are excited to add Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit as a USA Cycling partner, and introduce them to cycling and the Olympic movement,” said Bouker Pool, Chief Commercial Officer. “Athletes are always looking for great nutritious options on and off the bike, and their SunGold kiwifruit is a great option, plus they’re deliciously sweet and refreshing. If you haven’t tried one yet, you’re missing out!”
These golden kiwis are sweeter than their green counterpart and offer a unique blast of sweetness that you need to taste to believe. Ready to try Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit now? Click the link here to secure your exclusive FREE PACK offer and share your tasting notes with us @Zesprikiwifruit using the hashtag #TASTYmonial.
The Zespri brand is recognized as the world leader in premium quality kiwifruit. Premium Zespri Kiwifruit is raised to rigorous, exacting standards that assure you are getting the highest quality fruit every time. In the US (United States), Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit comes from New Zealand May through November, and we extend our season through February with our Italian crop, grown to the same Zespri standards. Based in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand, we are 100 percent owned by current or past kiwifruit growers, and employ over 600 people in New Zealand, Asia, Europe and the Americas. On behalf of our 2,800 growers in New Zealand and 1,500 growers based elsewhere, Zespri manages kiwifruit innovation and supply management, distribution management and marketing of Zespri Green, Zespri SunGold, and Zespri Organic. For more information on Zespri North America, please visit zespri.com/en-US.
About USA Cycling (usacycling.org):
USA Cycling is the national governing body for the sport of cycling and oversees the disciplines of road, track, mountain bike, cyclocross, and BMX. USA Cycling’s mission is to champion accessibility, participation, and excellence in the sport of cycling to make more Americans healthier, happier, and better on two wheels while achieving sustained international racing success. USA Cycling supports cyclists at all levels, from those just beginning in the sport and participating in fun rides to international caliber racers. The organization identifies, develops, and selects cyclists to represent the United States in international competition through the support of kids’ and interscholastic programs, amateur bike racing and grassroots development programs, and the provision of critical infrastructure to run organized racing. USA Cycling has a membership of 100,000, annually sanctions over 2,500 events, and is a proud member of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC).
- FoodData Central. USDA, ARS website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed April 21, 2021.
- FoodData Central. USDA, ARS website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169097/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed June 14, 2021.
- Thomas DT, Erdman KA, Burke LM. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016;116(3):501-528.
- Burke LM, Hawley JA, Wong SH, Jeukendrup AE. Carbohydrates for training and competition. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 (Suppl 1):S17-27.
- FoodData Central. USDA, ARS website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173944/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed June 14, 2021.
- Pullar JM, Carr AC, Vissers MCM. The roles of vitamin c in skin health. Nutrients. 2017;9(8):866.
*Per 100 grams, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, 161.3 mg vitamin C; Orange, 53.2 mg vitamin C.
**510 mg potassium per serving (2 medium kiwifruit, 162 grams) of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit; 422 mg potassium in a medium (118 grams) banana per serving.