Results of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc 2021 health policy
September 21, 2021
In order to protect the health of the participants and to contribute to a clean sport, the organization of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc has set up since 2008 the QUARTZ Event Program which implies specific medical rules;
Quartz Event Program
In order to protect the health of the participants and to contribute to a clean sport, the organization of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc has set up since 2008 the QUARTZ Event Program which implies specific medical rules; in particular, runners agree not to take part in any of the races when using:
Within 60 days before the start of the competition and during the competition:
- Intravenous iron infusion
Within 7 days before the start of the competition and during the competition:
- Intravenous infusion
- Gas inhalation
- Substance subject to a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) according to the WADA Prohibited List
- All glucocorticoids regardless of the mode of administration
- Thyroid synthesis hormones except in case of partial or total removal of the thyroid or hypothyroidism of medical origin.
Within 24 hours before the start of the competition and during the competition:
- All beta-2-agonists regardless of the mode of administration
- All painkillers including Tramadol and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) regardless of the mode of administration
- All substances included in the WADA Monitoring Program
In order to verify that the above rules are respected, different types of samples (blood, saliva, hair, urine) are collected before and after the main races of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc: UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®.
The official rules of the UTMB® Mont-Blanc state that any unreasonable failure, presence of an unauthorized substance in a sample, refusal or transmission of fake information related to the QUARTZ Event Program may result in the participant being disqualified before or after competition.
3 abnormal results during the 2021 UTMB® Mont-Blanc
In 2021, tests were carried out as follows:
- D-30: 59 tests carried out with participants in the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
- D-1: 94 tests carried out with participants in the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
- D+1: 30 finishers from the 4 races UTMB®, CCC®, OCC, TDS®
Although no disqualifications were issued based on the pre-race tests (D-30 and D-1), the saliva samples from elite runners collected at the finish of the 2021 races (D+1) revealed the presence of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in 3 separate cases.
After discussing with the QUARTZ Event experts and seen that 1) the above-mentioned D+1 tests were implemented this year for the first time and 2) this is a first-time violation and the breach in the regulations could be linked to a lack of knowledge of these medical rules, the organization has decided not to disqualify these 3 athletes. However, in case of a further violation in a future race applying the QUARTZ Event Program these athletes will be automatically disqualified or penalized.
UTMB Group is committed to protecting the health of participants and contributing to a clean sport.
For that reason, the 2022 races of the UTMB® World Series circuit will join the UTMB® Mont-Blanc and will apply the Quartz Event Program.
An extensive information and awareness campaign will be carried out among athletes around the world before each race to remind the athletes that preserving their health and their sport is not an option, and that by participating in one of the UTMB® World Series races they will be required to commit to the current health policy.