Brompton, Freitag, Partner to Put Stylish, Sustainable New Spin on Backpacks for Bike Commutes
March 24, 2021
NEW YORK (March 24, 2021) – Brompton Bicycle, the London-based manufacturer of the iconic Brompton folding bike, and Zurich’s bag manufacturer, FREITAG, have quite a bit in common: They’re both into “re-cycling,” which means thinking and acting in sustainable cycles, and they’re both all about riding bikes. Both are also crazy about quality and functionality, so the two suppliers for bike-riding individualists put their heads together to work on bettering urban mobility solutions.
The result: They’ve put an entirely new spin on two everyday items that have been through just about every change and improvement you can mention: bags and bikes.
When Andrew Ritchie built his first Brompton in 1975, he completely reinvented the bike from the ground up, giving commuters and bike enthusiasts access to folding bikes that last a lifetime and cycles with small wheels that changed urban travel forever. And, when Daniel and Markus Freitag cut their first messenger bags from used truck tarps in 1993, they showed the world they could create functional, portable design objects from waste materials, each with its own unique look.
Together, Brompton and FREITAG have created a bag as individual as your commute, purpose-built to clip onto the front of any non-electric Brompton bike.
No detail is overlooked on the F748 Coltrane Backpack for Brompton, elevating both form and function:
- Made of used truck tarp, each one-of-a-kind bag is affixed with convenient Velcro® straps to an aluminum Brompton front carrier frame for easy removal and use as a backpack with or without the frame.
- Featuring backpack straps that attach magnetically–and almost magically– to the back of the bag, enabling one-handed docking and removal on any classic Brompton bike with any handlebar type.
- A convenient, double-zippered, padded main compartment made of recycled, PET fabric with rapid access to the laptop compartment and the zippered outer compartment is easily accessed from the saddle when you hit a red light.
- An extra-long key strap lets you unlock your door even when the backpack is attached to the bike.
- Each bag comes with a matching mud flap cut from the same tarp that bolts to the front fender of any Brompton bike.
The F748 Coltrane Backpack for Brompton is available starting April 14 at FREITAG Stores, Brompton Junctions and on FREITAG’s site for an MSRP of $440.
Visit https://media.freitag.ch/en/media/f748 for high res images and view the brand collaboration video here.
About Brompton Bicycle
Built upon a mission to change the way we live within our cities, Brompton Bicycle manufactures foldable bikes that provide riders with a more efficient, sustainable transportation alternative. Founded in London in 1975, the Brompton foldable bike breaks down to the size of a lightweight, compact package in just a few seconds and combines with other forms of transit to speed up a commute. In 2018, the brand also introduced its first line of e-bikes, Brompton Electric, recognized as both the most lightweight and the most compact foldable e-bike on the market. Now the largest bike manufacturer in the United Kingdom, every Brompton is still made in London and the brand boasts 15 Brompton Junction flagship stores around the world. For more information, please visit us.brompton.com