Verizon New York City Triathlon Pivots to Virtual Duathlon for 2020; Event to Kick Off July 11
June 30, 2020
Run-Bike-Run to take place in lieu of triathlon due to Coronavirus pandemic
New York (June 30, 2020) – For the first time in its illustrious nearly 20-year history, the Verizon New York City Triathlon, owned and produced by Life Time, is going virtual. Beginning Saturday, July 11, the Virtual Duathlon will open to all 2020 Verizon NYC Triathlon registrants at no cost and to past registrants and the public for a fee. This first-ever Virtual Duathlon, featuring a second run portion to replace the swim leg, will take the place of the New York City Triathlon, which was cancelled on June 3 due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.
“We are disappointed about having to forego the Verizon New York City Triathlon for the second consecutive year, following last year’s excessive heat cancellation but are proud of the unique virtual experience we’ve created,” said Nicole Bostick, Associate Marketing Director at Life Time. “The safety of our athletes, volunteers, race officials and spectators remains our top priority and we feel that the timing is not right to gather more than 2,500 athletes to the swim start on July 19. While it is unfortunate that these terrific competitors will not be swimming, biking, and running through the heart of Manhattan, we are excited to see them compete against each other virtually. It’s going to be a fun, interactive and safe racing experience.”
Participants have their choice of three different formats of the Virtual Duathlon:
- Ultimate Challenge: Compete all legs back-to-back, per a traditional duathlon. Athletes must submit results of each leg upon completion any time between July 11-19.
- Intermediate Challenge: Complete each leg individually within the following time frames, submitting results following the completion of each leg:
- One-mile run – July 11-13
- 25-mile bike – July 14-16
- 6.2-mile run – July 17-19
- Basic Challenge: Athletes can compete each leg at their convenience any time between July 11-19 and submit results prior to July 19.
Life Time is offering the following options to all registered triathlon participants as a result of the 2020 event cancellation:
- Complimentary deferral to the 2021 (July 11) or 2022 (Date TBD) Verizon New York City Triathlon, as well as complimentary access to the 2020 Virtual Duathlon
- Competitors who donate their entry fee to the New York City Schools’ food program through the Life Time Foundation also receive a guaranteed entry into next year’s race, as well as access to the 2020 Virtual Duathlon.
- Receive a full race refund, minus processing fees. No complimentary access to the virtual duathlon.
To learn more about the Life Time Tri Series and register for the 2020 Virtual Duathlon presented by the Verizon New York City Triathlon, visit https://www.nyctri.com/.
The Verizon New York City Triathlon is owned and produced by Life Time, the premier healthy lifestyle brand. It is among more than 30 premier athletic events owned by the company, as a part of its healthy way of life philosophy, including the Miami Marathon, Chicago Triathlon, and Leadville Race Series.
About Life Time®, Inc.
As a wellness pioneer, Life Time is reshaping the way consumers approach their health by integrating where we play, work and live – all with the primary objective of helping people lead healthy, happy lives. With more than 150 destinations in 41 major markets across the U.S. and Canada, Life Time operates luxury athletic resorts, owns and produces iconic athletic events and is expanding its brand though Life Time Work premium coworking spaces and Life Time Living high-end leased residences. For more information visit lifetime.life.
# # #