Speedy Hoosiers and Returning Winners Highlight Carmel Marathon Weekend’s Age Group Records
June 21, 2022
Nearly 30 age group records broken in April
CARMEL, Ind. (June 21, 2022) /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – Twenty-nine age group records were broken on April 9 at the 2022 Carmel Marathon Weekend, in addition to five course records. The field of nearly 3,500 participants from 43 states and five countries braved the cold and windy weather to break previous records of the 12th annual event held in Carmel, Ind. Sixty-seven finishers from the state of Indiana currently hold age group records in the Carmel Marathon Presented by Franciscan Health, Carmel Half Marathon Presented by Drewry Simmons Vornehm, Indiana Spine Group 10K and Indiana Members Credit Union 5K.
Several returning runners hold more than one age group record across the current four distance events. Jesse Davis of Indianapolis now holds the male age group record for the full marathon for the 30-34 (2013) and 35-39 (2019) age groups, in addition to the 40-44 age group record he set in this year’s half marathon race. John Poray of Fishers, Ind. took the 40-44 male age group record in the 10K in 2021 and came back in 2022 for the 5K record in the 40-44 age group.
Cindy Harris of Indianapolis set a new female 50-54 age group award in this year’s 5K race, in addition to her 45-49 age group record set in 2017. Lucie Sulewski of Westfield, Ind. also holds multiple age group records, in the 40-44 (2015) and 50-54 (2021) female groups for the full marathon and the 40-44 (2011) age group record for the 8K, an event replaced by the 10K in 2019.
Ellen Pope of Santa Fe, N.M. completed the 2022 Carmel Marathon Presented by Franciscan Health in 4:47:08, lowering the previous female 70-74 age group record by more than one hour.
“It is exciting to see age group records fall every year,” said Todd Oliver, race director for the Carmel Marathon Weekend. “We have built a reputation of having a fast course, and the new records prove that runners come to Carmel to put their name in the record books.”
New age group records set in 2022 include:
Carmel Marathon Presented by Franciscan Health
- Female 20-24, Sarah Sibert, 2:43:30
- Male 25-29, Steven Froeschle, 2:20:49
- Male 45-49, Jason Homorody, 2:49:42
- Male 55-59, Michael Mallon, 2:53:02
- Male 60-64, Madison Perez, 3:18:47
- Female 60-64, Maria Sutton, 3:40:15
- Female 65-69, Patricia Bales, 4:04:25
- Female 70-74, Ellen Pope, 4:47:08
- Male 75 and older, Steve Gilbert, 5:38:38
Carmel Half Marathon Presented by Drewry Simmons Vornehm
- Male 20-24, Raymond Magut, 1:04:22
- Female 20-24, Kelli Smith, 1:14:02
- Female 25-29, Mary Munanu, 1:12:42
- Female 35-39, Andrea Pomaranski, 1:15:03
- Male 40-44, Jesse Davis, 1:10:35
Indiana Spine Group 10K
- Female 14 and under, Delaney Schmidt, 46:50
- Male 20-24, Jarrett Mattingly, 31:20
- Female 20-24, Madison Bahr, 42:22
- Female 25-29, Lucy Dobbs, 35:43
- Male 45-49, Nicholas Delgado, 36:03
- Female 45-49, Beth Koch, 37:40
- Female 55-59, Michell Kitze, 47:36
- Male 70-74, Larry Wilson, 55:42
- Female 75 and older, Ana Chimbanda, 1:21:22
Indiana Members Credit Union 5K
- Male 30-34, Brady Hall, 16:35
- Male 40-44, John Poray, 15:52
- Female 50-54, Cindy Harris, 22:23
- Male 65-69, Leo Turchyn, 22:28
- Female 70-74, Julie Werbe, 34:33
- Male 75 and older, Tim List, 32:38
Registration is now open for the 13th annual Carmel Marathon Weekend on Saturday, April 8, 2023. Registration and a full listing of records are available at CarmelMarathon.com.
About CRRG Events:
CRRG Events is an event management and production company with more than 20 years of producing successful running events. Based in Carmel, Indiana, CRRG Events has staged and managed events across 11 states ranging from a 1-mile football halftime race to ultramarathons. For more information, please visit CarmelRoadRacingGroup.com.
About the Carmel Marathon Weekend:
The 13th annual Carmel Marathon Weekend on Saturday, April 8, 2023 will feature a full marathon, half marathon, 10K and 5K, as well as a marathon relay. The Carmel Marathon is the second largest marathon in Indiana and the largest running event in the city of Carmel. The event offers a fast course (certified Boston Qualifier) through the popular Indianapolis suburb of Carmel, Indiana. To learn more, please visit CarmelMarathon.com.
Contact: Kim Jackson