Soundcheck… Testing, Testing, 1,2,3: Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club turns up the volume this March
March 4, 2021
- Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC to offer a series of classic distances this March allowing participants to set benchmarks, revisit their 2021 goals, or even go for a PR - Three new challenges unveiled: Humana Rock 'n' Roll VRC PR Series, International Women's Day Challenge and Sunrise or Sunset Runner 40 - Featured Rock ‘n’ Roller Christina Lam of Anchorage, Alaska shares how she braves the elements to keep up her Rock ‘n’ Roll VR racing
TAMPA, Fla. – As the month of March gets running, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running Club™ (VRC™) is providing avenues for people around the world to revisit their 2021 goals and conduct a Sound Check. Throughout March, participants will be able to take on a series of classic distances, including 1-mile, 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon events, where they will set a new benchmark as they challenge themselves towards setting a new PR (personal record). From March 5-7, Bose Rock ‘n’ Roll VR9 kicks off with a 1-mile, 5K and Remix Challenge where participants who want to compete can sign up to do both distances offered in the same weekend. Registration for March 2021 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC events are currently open and available for FREE to the entire global community at runrocknrollvr.com.
- Bose Rock ‘n’ Roll VR9– 1 Mile, 5K Remix – March 5-7
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR10 – 10K – March 12-14
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR11 – Half Marathon – March 19-21
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR12 – Marathon – March 22-28
What Else is Happening in March:
- Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC PR Series: In March, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC will be introducing the all-new PR Series that will be available through the end of the year. That means participants can race any classic distance with the flexibility of their schedule. Check out the new Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC PR Series as it rolls out throughout the month of March here.
- International Women’s Day Challenge: To celebrate International Women’s Day, Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC will be offering a 5K community challenge on March 8 to the global virtual community. Learn more about how to participate in the International Women’s Day challenge by visiting here.
- Sunrise Runner 40 & Sunset Runner 40 Challenges: Whether you are a sunrise runner or a sunset runner, this 40-mile multi-week challenge is for you. Look for more information to come mid-way through the month here.
- Record Year Update: The Record Year is a community-based challenge through the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC that allows participants to contribute mileage towards a tracking log each month, inspiring individuals to see how far they’ve gone over the entire year of 2021. Since the beginning of January, nearly 3,000 participants took on the challenge, together logging over 427,000 miles in the first two months of 2021. Learn more about the Record Year challenge by visiting here.
- Weekly Workouts: Every week, we will feature a workout designed to help participants focus on specific parts of training. Runners and walkers of all skill levels can complete in these workouts which feature adjustments that help customize to the participant’s goals for the run. Find out what weekly workout is in store this week here.
Featured Rock ‘n’ Roller
Christina Lam, Anchorage, Alaska
Christina Lam, or, as she’s known on Facebook, “Tina ToRun,” is something of a celebrity on the Humana Rock ’n’ Roll Virtual Club Facebook page. When faced with harsh winter storms that have pummeled the US for the past few weeks, Lam has inspired other runners to ask, “What Would Tina Do?” In most cases, the answer is “get out the door and run.” If there’s someone who knows what it takes to run through fierce winter conditions, it’s Lam. Born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska, Lam has been part of the Rock ’n’ Roll community since 2015. Before the pandemic hit, Lam was 29 states through her goal of running a half marathon in every state. “Running has become a passion – not just a hobby,” says the 43-year-old optometrist. “It’s allowed me to see new places and make connections – I’ve developed friendships and a real running family.” Lam says that the pandemic not only helped her slow down but also ramp up: this year, she has become a “challenge junkie,” always hunting for new running challenges to keep her motivated. She frequently shares photos of scenery and wildlife she encounters on her runs, such as bears and moose. Read on to learn more about Christina’s infectious optimism and inspiration in The Beat.
To register for a Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club Challenge, runners or walkers only need to sign up through the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC platform and connect to their tracker app. Runners can then complete their registration by going to the “Events” tab and clicking “Register Now” for free on the virtual race page. For additional information on how to register, visit Getting Started Guide.
Full details and specifics regarding the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club and Challenges are available on www.runrocknrollvr.com. For more information on the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, please visit the website at www.runrocknroll.com. Media related inquiries may be directed to [email protected].
About Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club
The Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running Club™ (VRC™) is a web-based platform allowing runners from around the world to engage, connect, earn rewards, and compete in Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ (VR™) Series events with a distance for everyone. Since its launch in April of 2020, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC continues to see thousands of runners and walkers engage on the platform and find their virtual start line each week, bringing the global running community together. Additional details about the Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC platform can be found at www.runrocknrollvr.com.
About Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is the world’s largest running series taking part in over 30 destination events around the world every year. Established in 1998, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series’s simple idea of making running fun has transformed both the U.S. and global running landscape by infusing the course with live bands, cheer teams and entertaining water stations, creating a block-party atmosphere for participants and spectators alike. Focused on running, music and community, race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo showcasing the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. Events culminate with an entertaining finish-line festival featuring some of the biggest names in music, with past performances including Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, O.A.R. Aloe Blacc, Pitbull, Flo Rida, The Band Perry, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Goo Goo Dolls and Bret Michaels. Further information about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series can be found online at www.RunRocknRoll.com and follow @RunRocknRoll on all social platforms.
About The IRONMAN Group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ Series, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and The Sun-Herald City2Surf®, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events across 55+ countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance (www.advance.com), a private, family-owned business. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.