Shelby Farrell, Caitlin Healey, Cory Mayfield and Paul Sinclair Top The Podium At 42nd Annual Avalon 50
January 11, 2023
California’s original ultra trail race adapts 50-mile, 50K routes after heavy storms
AVALON, Calif. /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – The 2023 Hi-Tec Run Catalina series kicked off this weekend with the 42nd Annual Avalon Benefit 50-miler and 50K. Runners took on the scenic and challenging courses, which organizers swiftly adapted after heavy storms on the island. Shelby Farrell and Paul Sinclair were victors in the 50-mile event. The 50K was won by Caitlin Healey and Cory Mayfield. The event benefits the Avalon Lions Club.
The following runners stood on the podium in their events and divisions:
- Paul Sinclair, Men’s 50-mile winner with a time of 6:44:59
- Connor Jackson, 2nd place in the Men’s 50-mile with a time of 6:49:44
- Robert Webber, 3rd place in the Men’s 50-mile with a time of 6:59:33
- Shelby Farrell, Women’s 50-mile winner with a time of 7:32:54
- Sofie Blicher, 2nd place in the Women’s 50-mile with a time of 7:35:31
- Veronica Alaniz, 3rd place in the Women’s 50-mile with a time of 7:44:03
- Cory Mayfield, Men’s 50K winner with a time of 3:46:44
- Reyeoul Lakeshore, 2nd place in the Men’s 50K with a time of 4:03:23
- Gary Gellin, 3rd place in the Men’s 50K with a time of 4:08:15
- Caitlin Healey, Women’s 50K winner with a time of 4:37:06
- Catherine Leclair, 2nd place in the Women’s 50K with a time of 4:46:38
- Julie Johnson, 3rd place in the Women’s 50K with a time of 4:51:39
“Part of creating the best experience for our runners is being flexible and adaptable, understanding that Mother Nature sometimes has other plans. I’m proud of how quickly our team was able to update our courses in the final days leading up to the event,” said Mike Bone, President and CEO of Spectrum Sports Management, which produces the series. “It allowed our runners to enjoy the beauty of the island while making their safety a priority. Thank you to each of you who joined us at the Avalon Benefit 50 Mile / 50K Run!”
The Avalon Benefit 50 Mile / 50K Run raises funds on behalf of the Avalon Lions Club to benefit their charitable work and community assistance throughout Catalina Island. The Avalon Lions provide annual scholarships to all graduating high school seniors who wish to continue their education, assist families with medical expenses, and help build and restore parks and playgrounds around Catalina Island. They also help maintain the natural environment of the Island through support of the Catalina Island Conservancy.
Next up in the Hi-Tec Run Catalina series are the Catalina Island Marathon on Mar. 11 and the Catalina Island Half Marathon on Nov. 11. Participants looking to earn the Catalina Island Triple Crown belt buckle need only register for and complete all three events within a 12-month period. No additional registration is required.
About Run Catalina and Spectrum Sports Management
Created and managed by Spectrum Sports Management, Run Catalina is a series of endurance races on Southern California’s beautiful and rugged Catalina Island. A recognized leader in endurance and sporting events in Southern California, Spectrum Sports Management & Timing Services creates a wide range of events and has over 50 years of collective industry experience. Spectrum Sports Management emphasizes delivering a premiere, professional and world-class service to their clients, their participants, and the communities in which they work. To learn more, visit www.SpectrumSports.net.