RRCA Welcomes Your New Running BFF, Zespri™ SunGold™ Kiwifruit, As An Official Sponsor
June 16, 2021
These delicious bombs of OMG will help fuel your body all summer long
Arlington, VA (June 16, 2021) – The Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) is pleased to welcome Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit as an Official Sponsor for the summer season. In partnership with Zespri we’ll work together to inspire our community of runners to discover better snacking on and off the pavement without compromising on taste. Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit are the perfect on-the-go pre- and post- workout snack and an unexpected, sweet tropical addition to your fruit bowl.
“We’re thrilled to partner with Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit and provide opportunities for our members and certified coaches to experience the golden and glorious sweetness of this nutritious fruit,” explained Jean Knaack, RRCA CEO.
“Runners and athletes love the taste and nutritional benefits of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit. Said Jeanne Wilson, Head of Marketing, Zespri North America. “They’re not only delicious and easy to eat on the go, they provide the carbohydrates, potassium and vitamin C needed to help cross the finish line! We’re excited to support athletes across the country in their runs with a sweet spoonful of WOAH that can only come from tasting a Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit.”
Just one serving of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit (2 kiwifruit) includes:
- 26 grams of carbohydrates for energy – count on the carbs in Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit for optimal mental and physical performance.3,4 Carbohydrate is the primary fuel for your brain and a key source of energy for muscles to keep your body energized so you can maximize your performance.3
- A good source of potassium, providing as much potassium as a medium-sized banana*5 – perfect for aiding muscle, cardiovascular and nervous system function during long endurance events.
- An excellent source of vitamin C, providing a whopping 290% of the recommended daily value – vitamin C is an antioxidant that aids in collagen production, a major component of muscle tissue, helps you stay energized, and supports iron absorption.6
- 100 calories – adequate energy intake is needed to fuel daily life as well as workouts and it’s critical to eat the appropriate number of calories to match energy needs.
- A combination of over 20 essential vitamins and minerals to meet the nutritional needs of active people.2
These golden kiwis are sweeter than their green counterpart and offer a unique, sassy blast of sweetness that you need to taste to believe. In working closely with RRCA, Zespri will be surprising some local clubs with fruit to help fuel group runs for those hot summer days.
Hungry for Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit now? Click the link here to secure your exclusive FREE PACK offer and grab a pack this summer.
The Zespri brand is recognized as the world leader in premium quality kiwifruit. Premium Zespri Kiwifruit is raised to rigorous, exacting standards that assure you are getting the highest quality fruit every time. In the US (United States), Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit comes from New Zealand May through November, and we extend our season through February with our Italian crop, grown to the same Zespri standards. Based in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand, we are 100 percent owned by current or past kiwifruit growers, and employ over 600 people in New Zealand, Asia, Europe and the Americas. On behalf of our 2,800 growers in New Zealand and 1,500 growers based elsewhere, Zespri manages kiwifruit innovation and supply management, distribution management and marketing of Zespri Green, Zespri SunGold, and Zespri Organic. For more information on Zespri North America, please visit zespri.com/en-US
The Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) is the oldest and largest national association of running organizations and runners dedicated to growing the sport since 1958. The RRCA champions the development and success of community-based running organizations that empower all people to participate in the sport of running in pursuit of enjoyment, health, well-being and competition. Learn more at: www.rrca.org
- FoodData Central. USDA, ARS website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nrutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed April 21, 2020.
- Thomas DT, Erdman KA, Burke LM. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016;116(3):501-528.
- Burke LM, Hawley JA, Wong SH, Jeukendrup AE. Carbohydrates for training and competition. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 (Suppl 1): S17-27.
- FoodData Central. USDA, ARS website. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168211/nutrients. Updated March 2019. Accessed May 3, 2021.
- Pullar JM, Carr AC, Vissers MCM. The roles of vitamin c in skin health. Nutrients. 2017;9(8):866.
510 mg potassium per serving (2 medium kiwifruits, 162 grams) of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit; 422 mg potassium in a medium (118 grams) banana per serving.
Contact: Jean Knaack