New Course, Live Global Broadcast, Champions Return at Upcoming 2022 Garmin UNBOUND Gravel presented by Craft Sportswear
April 26, 2022
UNBOUND to serve as the second event within the new Life Time Grand Prix series
EMPORIA, Kan., (April 26, 2022) /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – With 4,000 expected riders, Life Time’s (NYSE: LTH) Garmin UNBOUND Gravel presented by Craft Sportswear promises to continue its reign as the premier gravel cycling event for racers of all abilities. Now 40 days out, the 2022 edition will see updates and new additions to event weekend programming.
- Headed South: While the event is known to switch its course direction from north to south every two years, this year will debut a previously unridden course south of Emporia designed by race director Ben Sachs.
“The new course has been a labor of love for us and we’re incredibly excited to unveil it,” said Ben Sachs, Race Director at Life Time. “After two years traveling north of Emporia, riders will appreciate the fresh change of scenery on a challenging yet freeing course which creates that exhilarating, unique-to-the-flint-hills feeling of being ‘unbound’.”
- A place for all: The addition of a para-cycling category embodies the spirit of gravel and exemplifies increased participation by riders of all abilities. The category is the newest division the event offers which includes age group, fat-tire, single-speed, tandem, pro and non-binary.
“Now more than ever, gravel is home to inclusivity,” noted Kristi Mohn, Marketing Manager at Life Time. “We are very excited to continue inviting riders of all backgrounds to join the community. Athletes and spectators can expect to see this reflected throughout the weekend at the expo, group rides, and start line and from industry partners and support crews – all are truly welcome.”
- Professional competition: Emporia will be especially buzzing this year as UNBOUND Gravel serves as the second event in the brand-new Life Time Grand Prix presented by Mazda, a series of six off-road races where 60 cyclists compete for $250,000. The series kicked off in April with an 80K XC race at the Life Time Sea Otter Classic in the hills of Monterey, California. UNBOUND Gravel will be the first gravel race and longest event of the series.
- Live, global broadcast: As part of Life Time’s official broadcast partnership with FloSports, the entire Life Time Grand Prix series including UNBOUND’s 200-mile distance will be broadcast live globally via FloBikes, a division of the FloSports streaming platform.
- City of Emporia Invests in Expo: The All Things Gravel Expo will see a new presenting sponsor, the City of Emporia, as the gathering of food vendors, brand booths and activations appeals to local citizens in addition to riders and their support crews.
Lelan Dains, Director at Visit Emporia and previous Race Director of UNBOUND Gravel said, “It is undeniable that support from the City of Emporia has been crucial in creating an amazing rider experience for over a decade, and, so, this sponsorship is a natural fit.”
- Reigning champions return: Last year, the marquee 200-mile race was won by Ian Boswell and Lauren De Crescenzo. The 350-mile UNBOUND XL race was won by Taylor Lideen and Lael Wilcox. All four athletes are returning to defend their titles in 2022.
The Garmin UNBOUND Gravel event and Life Time Grand Prix presented by Mazda are owned and produced by Life Time, the premier healthy lifestyle brand. It is among more than 30 premier athletic events owned and produced by the company across the nation, which also operates nearly 160 athletic resorts and spas in the U.S. and Canada. Life Time strives to produce exceptional event experiences for both participants and spectators as an extension of its Healthy Way of Life philosophy.
About Life Time®
Life Time (NYSE: LTH) empowers people to live healthy, happy lives through its portfolio of nearly 160 athletic country clubs across the United States and Canada. The company’s healthy way of life communities and ecosystem address all aspects of healthy living, healthy aging and healthy entertainment for people 90 days to 90+ years old. Supported by a team of more than 30,000 dedicated professionals, Life Time is committed to providing the best programs and experiences through its clubs, iconic athletic events and comprehensive digital platform.
# # #