Gran Fondo National Series Launches 2021 Calendar with 13 U.S. Events
November 16, 2020
USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championship scheduled for July 18, 2021 at Gran Fondo Asheville
(Gettysburg, PA – November 16, 2020) – The largest series of one-day gran fondo cycling events in the United States, the Colnago Gran Fondo National Series (GFNS) today announced their 2021 calendar with eight of their own fondos and five additional partner events.
Starting with Gran Fondo Florida in San Antonio, FL on March 21 and finishing the season in California with The Jensie Gran Fondo in the fall, the 2021 Colnago Gran Fondo National Series includes eight events:
- Gran Fondo Florida – March 21, 2021 – San Antonio, FL
- Team Type 1 Tour of Georgia Gran Fondo– April 18, 2021 – Helen, GA
- Highlands Gran Fondo – June 6, 2021 – Butler, NJ
- Gran Fondo Asheville and (USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championship) – July 18, 2021 – Asheville, NC
- Boone Gran Fondo – August 1, 2021 – Boone, NC
- Golden Gran Fondo – August 29, 2021 – Golden, CO
- Gran Fondo Maryland – September 19, 2021 – Frederick, MD
- Jensie Gran Fondo – Fall 2021 – San Francisco, CA
In addition to the 8 events organized and run by GFNS, there are five partner events where athletes can earn points toward the Colnago Gran Fondo National Series Championship. Additional events will be added soon, and events that want to be part of the series are encouraged to contact GFNS. For 2021, partner events include:
- Malibu GRANFONDO – TBD
- Cheaha Challenge – May 15-16, 2021
- Cache Gran Fondo – July 9-10, 2021
- Bob Cooke Memorial Mt. Evans Hill Climb – July 24, 2021
- Triple Gran Fondo – August 21, 2021
Now in its ninth year, the GFNS continues to innovate in the gran fondo space. “The Gran Fondo National Series is America’s original gran fondo series,” said Event Director Reuben Kline, who founded GFNS in 2012. “To move cycling forward in the United States, events need to simultaneously meet the needs of competitors, non-competitive riders seeking new challenges, and cyclists seeking camaraderie, safety, and community. No matter what you’re riding for, you can do it at a GFNS event!”
Key features of the GFNS include:
- COVID-safe packet pickup and small group starts: Working in conjunction with local health departments and adhering to CDC Guidelines and USA Cycling Best Practices, GFNS health procedures maximize rider safety.
- COVID-safe Aid Stations: New procedures, like individually packaged food, more space between volunteers and riders, and directed entry and exit lanes ensure we can offer riders great service while focusing on the safety of riders and volunteers.
- Unsurpassed Professional Support: GFNS works with local law enforcement, volunteer groups, mobile mechanics, sag vehicles, and safety motos to create a safe cycling environment where support is always close by.
- Community-Focused Post-Ride Party: With locally sourced food, beverages, vendors, and entertainment, GFNS events finish line parties showcase regional products. Of course, the dynamics the post ride celebration are subject to impacts from COVID-19 restrictions and concerns; that said GFNS loves to throw a party.
- Timed Segments: Perfect for COVID-era events by eliminating the need for pack competitions, timed segments allow riders to ride hard, refuel and hydrate, socialize, and ride safely to the next timed segment.
- Gran Fondo National Championship: To qualify for the USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championship event, to be contested on the Gran Route at Gran Fondo Asheville on July 18, 2021, riders must finish in the top 25% of their age group at a 2021 GFNS event or partner event, or complete the gran route in more than one 2021 GFNS event or partner event prior to July 18, 2021. All riders who qualified for participation in 2020 are automatically qualified for 2021. To see more on Qualification Requirements, click here. Medio and Piccolo routes at Gran Fondo Asheville are open to all riders to enter, are not championship events, and do not require qualification for riders to participate.
- Series Championship: Cyclists are ranked nationally in this season-long competition based on their best three finishes in any 2021 GFNS events and partner events. Click here to see more on how series points are counted.
- Team Competition: Ranked by the combined segment times of the fastest 4 team members, teams also gain bonus seconds based on how many teammates finish.
- Local and National Non-Profits: Every GFNS event partners with a local nonprofit, to raise funds, and increase awareness of cycling in the communities.
The GFNS has successfully coordinated more than 50 gran fondos across the nation and have had nearly 17,000 participants. In 2017 GFNS merged with the international Haute Route brand of multi-day cycling events. Together, Haute Route and GFNS have established a worldwide catalogue of single- and multi-day cycling events in the United States, Europe, Mexico, Oman, and Brazil.
About Gran Fondo National Series (granfondonationalseries.com)
Founded in 2012 by event director Reuben Kline, Gran Fondo National Series is the largest and most competitive series of gran fondo cycling events in the United States. GFNS was the first series to implement timed-segment racing into US gran fondo events, and has crowned Gran Fondo National Champions and Gran Fondo National Series Champions since 2012. Starting in 2020, GFNS entered into a partnership with USA Cycling to bring the existing GFNS Gran Fondo National Series and the one-day Gran Fondo National Championship into the portfolio of official USA Cycling National Championship events.