2022 Buffalo Marathon Weekend Highlights
June 14, 2022
Buffalo Marathon Weekend Features 18 Events Over Memorial Day Weekend 2022
/ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – The Buffalo Marathon Weekend kicked off festivities with a newly added street party on Friday, May 27, 2022, where athletes could shop local vendors and enjoy live music and happy hour specials. Event weekend festivities concluded on Sunday, May 29, with an all-new closing celebration street concert which included live music and a spectacular fireworks show. The Buffalo Marathon Weekend offered eighteen events throughout the weekend, involving an estimated 10,000 athletes, spectators, staff, and community members.
Buffalo Marathon Weekend Highlights:
- For the first time in the race’s history, The Buffalo Marathon ShopperChopper pace car led the 5k, Ruffalo Stampede, Full Marathon, and Half Marathon. The ShopperChopper, presented by Tops Friendly Markets, was a crowd favorite that brought many smiles to runners and spectators alike as it led the action on race day.
The Buffalo Marathon honored the victims lost in the May 14, 2022 shooting
- 7,500 red ribbons were distributed to all the volunteers and participants to wear on race day.
- The names of all the victims were listed on the start banner.
- A bell was tolled for each victim and their name, age, and city were read in tribute before the start of the race.
- Over 23,000 pounds of food (19,167 meals) was collected and donated to FeedMore WNY to help the residents of the Jefferson Avenue Community affected by the shooting.
The Buffalo Marathons Community & Charity Impact
- $145,000 was donated to the Kaleida Health Foundation, which benefits the best-in-class cardiac programs at Buffalo General Medical Center/Gates Vascular Institute.
- $7,500 was raised for John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital.
- One hundred fifty bags were delivered to the kids at Children’s Hospital, which contained the same swag and medals given to the kids that ran the race.
- $60,000 was raised for the 45 charities that brought out the volunteers to support the race.
Lucas McAneney was the 2022 Winner of the Buffalo Marathon.
Lucas pushed a stroller with his two-year-old son Sutton for a final time of 2:33:32. Lucas nearly broke the world record of 2:31.21 set in 2016 by Calum Neff in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
Jenner Selig and C.C. Tellez were the top two finishers in the Buffalo Marathon 5k, making it the first time two females placed first and second overall in the race.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit buffalomarathon.org.
About the Buffalo-Erie Marathon Association Inc.
A 501(c)(3) organization, the Buffalo-Erie Marathon Association Inc. (buffalomarathon.org) organizes and presents the annual Memorial Day Weekend, which includes a 5k, Diaper Dash, Kids Mini Marathon, Ruffalo Stampede dog race, along with full and half marathons. The companion Kaleida Heart to Heart Relay benefits the cardiac care units at Buffalo General Hospital and Gates Vascular Institute. The events combined include 8,000+ runners from more than 10 countries and 45 states. The weekend is supported by more than 1,500 volunteers from 40+ not-for-profit organizations who, over the event’s 20 years, have received grants totaling more than $664,000. The event has an estimated annual economic impact of more than $1,500,000.