Funding will support initiatives and digital platforms that advance USA Triathlon Strategic Plan
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The USA Triathlon Board of Directors today announced the organization’s plans to invest net assets from the 2017-20 quadrennial — beginning with reinvesting $1.9 million in profit from fiscal year 2017 — into key programs and emerging technologies that advance the USA Triathlon Strategic Plan.
“The USA Triathlon Board of Directors has elected to invest organizational income from recent years back into the sport, a decision driven by our mission to grow, inspire and support the triathlon community,” said Barry Siff, USA Triathlon Board of Directors President. “By giving new and impactful programs the resources necessary to succeed, we are able to support and accelerate the grassroots development and national participation in multisport.”
“USA Triathlon is committed to growing and supporting multisport at all levels across the country, and this investment represents the action behind those words,” said Rocky Harris, USA Triathlon CEO. “I’m appreciative that, given the organization’s position of financial solvency, the Board of Directors made such a philosophical change to immediately reinvest our surpluses back into the sport, versus further investment in our rainy day fund. The initiatives we plan to support — several of which are being launched for the first time — will directly impact our ability to serve members and offer valuable resources to key constituency groups through 2020.”
Some of the initial areas of investment include:
- Time to Tri: Launched by USA Triathlon and IRONMAN in January 2017, Time to Tri is an industry-wide initiative to grow the sport of triathlon in the United States by supporting and inspiring beginners to complete their first race. Training and racing advice, as well as free, customized training plans, are available at mytimetotri.com. A key component of Time to Tri is a pledge program that enables coaches, clubs, race directors, retailers and brand manufacturers to get involved by supporting beginners in their local communities and nationally.
- Compete Clean Campaign: USA Triathlon has increased its investment in anti-doping efforts for age-group athletes as part of an initiative launched earlier this year with support from the USA Triathlon Board of Directors. The USA Triathlon Compete Clean campaign, implemented in collaboration with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), focuses on education, awareness and accountability for amateur triathletes competing in USA Triathlon-sanctioned events.
- SafeSport: USA Triathlon continues to invest in education and training programs focused on athlete well-being to prevent abuse and misconduct at all levels of sport. The organization has expanded its training requirements, increased its awareness and communication efforts to all USA Triathlon members, and worked closely with the U.S. Center for SafeSport to engage in pilot programs that will provide future resources for athletes and coaches.
- Online Event Sanctioning System and Sanctioned Events Calendar: USA Triathlon hired an outside agency to develop an online platform that will allow race directors nationwide to efficiently sanction their events, including races, camps and clinics. Also, an enhanced, more responsive digital USA Triathlon Sanctioned Events Calendar will allow race directors to promote their events more effectively, and will enable athletes to search for and identify races that meet their goals and preferences.
- Data Infrastructure: USA Triathlon has retained SSB, one of the nation’s leading data management companies, to create a streamlined data platform that will allow the organization to better understand and serve each of its constituent groups. The platform will integrate data across multiple, disparate sources, giving USA Triathlon an improved and more complete understanding of the multisport community.
- Grant Opportunities: The USA Triathlon Foundation supports grassroots multisport programs across the country through its grant program, which provides approximately $100,000 annually to impactful organizations that support underserved youth, athletes with disabilities and Olympic hopefuls. The Foundation also offers grants that support duathlon racing, women’s participation, high school triathlon and collegiate clubs.
- Club Investment: USA Triathlon is directing additional resources into its club system, including providing USA Triathlon certified clubs with access to a free website and back-end administrative system through a partnership with SportsEngine. Each participating club will receive an independent platform, in addition to being listed as part of a centralized online network at usatriathlon.org/findaclub. Additional benefits include a new club referral program, increased marketing support and promotional materials, and expanded insurance benefits.
- Online Recertification for Officials, Race Directors and Coaches: USA Triathlon Certified Officials, Race Directors and Coaches will be able to renew their certifications online by submitting documentation of a background check, SafeSport training, continuing education and other key metrics. The new system will no longer require constituents to travel at their own cost to a specific location for recertification.
This funding is in addition to the nearly $3.5 million allocated to support women’s NCAA triathlon through the USA Triathlon Foundation’s Emerging Sport for Women grant.
About USA Triathlon
USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 events and connects with more than 400,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work at the grassroots level with athletes, coaches, and race directors — as well as the USA Triathlon Foundation — USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of the ITU and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
– usatriathlon.org –