City has hosted USA Triathlon National Championships since 2007
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The city of Tuscaloosa, Ala., has offered remarkable support to USA Triathlon over the past five years, and the National Governing Body is hoping to return the favor by giving back to a community devastated by the tornadoes that affected much of the Southeastern United States last month.
Tuscaloosa has hosted one of USA Triathlon’s major National Championship events each year since 2007, including the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials and the 2011 Collegiate National Championship just a few weeks before the tornadoes hit.
USA Triathlon, its staff and corporate partners have developed a significant bond with the community and aim to lend their support through a number of channels:
- The USA Triathlon national office staff members have donated food, clothing and household items to send to Tuscaloosa. Nearly 450 pounds of goods have already been shipped.
- With the assistance of Gold-Level Partner Blue Competition Cycles and Magnolia Disaster Relief, USA Triathlon has provided nearly 2,000 backpacks that will be distributed to Tuscaloosa children through the local school system.
- USA Triathlon Supplier Greenlayer has sent more than 1,700 T-shirts for distribution to Tuscaloosa-area residents.
- USA Triathlon and Gold-Level Partner Gatorade will provide sports drinks to volunteer aid workers.
- Through the “Rally for Recovery – USA Triathlon Supports Tuscaloosa” campaign, imATHLETE.com, USA Triathlon’s official online registration partner, is offering individuals the opportunity to make financial contributions that will provide new clothing to the local community. Online donations can now be made through a special website created by imATHLETE.com: http://www.imathlete.com/donate/RallyforRecoveryUSATriathlonSupportsTuscaloosa
- USA Triathlon will continue to work with its corporate partners to expand upon the goods and services provided to Tuscaloosa.
“The Tuscaloosa community has embraced USA Triathlon and thousands of multisport athletes with open arms in recent years,” said USA Triathlon CEO Rob Urbach. “Our organization and its corporate partners are committed to aiding this city in its time of need. A donation of any amount can help rebuild this community, which has given so much to our sport.”
For more information about how to join USA Triathlon in providing aid to Tuscaloosa, contact USA Triathlon Event Services Director Kathy Matejka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-955-2813.
About USA Triathlon
Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon – one of the fastest growing sports in the world – as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. USA Triathlon sanctions 3,500 races and connects with more than 135,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work with athletes, coaches, and race directors on the grassroots level, USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including ITU World Championships, Pan American Games and the Summer Olympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of the International Triathlon Union and the United States Olympic Committee.