Annual Special Includes Historic Victories; Journey of Hollywood Actor Sean Astin, and Other Inspirational Athletes
TAMPA, Fla. (Nov. 10, 2015) – The annual NBC broadcast special chronicling the iconic IRONMAN® World Championship presented by GoPro® triathlon will premiere on Saturday, November 14 at 1:30 p.m. ET. For over 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship triathlon has showcased not only the raw power and competitive nature of the top endurance athletes in the world, but also some of the most awe-inspiring stories of courage and determination from the age-group athletes and everyday individuals competing alongside them.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience as more than 30 cameras captured the action from the clear blue skies, across the barren lava fields and under the water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge that took place on October 10, 2015 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as more than 2,300 athletes representing 62 countries and territories swim 2.4-miles, bike 112-miles and run 26.2-miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain, proving that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE®.
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship presented by GoPro special:
- Unique course perspectives utilizing GoPro cameras
- Exclusive interviews with current and former World Champions and other IRONMAN® finishers
- Dramatic and dominant performance by Female World Champion Daniela Ryf of Switzerland to become just the second female to win both the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship and IRONMAN World Championship in the same year
- Blistering race pace by Male World Champion Jan Frodeno of Germany who also captured both the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship and IRONMAN World Championship titles this year
- First-time journey of American star of blockbuster films “The Goonies,” “Rudy” and “Lord of the Rings” trilogy Sean Astin
- Tammy Nicholson’s remarkable story of perseverance and healing after a near-fatal car crash which left her with the prognosis of never walking again
- Heart transplant recipient and cancer survivor Derek Fitzgerald endures life’s challenges
- Steve Walker, a former marine battling retinitis pigmentosa which is gradually causing him to go blind
Longtime sportscaster Al Trautwig will again narrate the annual special and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN World Championship special has garnered more than 50 Emmy Award nominations and won 16 Emmys along with many other accolades.
For more information about the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship presented by GoPro and the NBC broadcast special, please visit www.ironman.com.
The iconic IRONMAN® Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN® brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Recognized for excellence through distinguished events, world-class athletes and quality products, IRONMAN has grown from a single race to a global sensation with more than 250 events and five unique brands: IRONMAN®, IRONMAN® 70.3®, 5150™ Triathlon Series, Iron Girl® and IRONKIDS®. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
Ellie Seifert, IRONMAN
2701 North Rocky Point Dr | Suite 1250
Tampa, FL 33607