The 2019 Humana Rock ‘N’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon returns to The Las Vegas Strip for its 11th Year of Running Under The Lights
November 15, 2019
- The biggest and best night running event in the world returns November 16-17 with 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon distances - GRAMMY nominated and Multi-Platinum singer/songwriter Kesha to perform at the Las Vegas Festival grounds following the 5K
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (November 15, 2019) – The 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll® Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon returns this weekend for its 11th running on Nov. 16-17, giving runners the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run under the lights on the famed Las Vegas Boulevard. Serving as the only private event to shut down the Las Vegas Strip at night, the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon will host 35,000 participants of all levels for the biggest and best night running event in the world. The weekend of festivities will be punctuated by an unforgettable performance from GRAMMY-nominated and Multi-Platinum singer/songwriter, Kesha when she takes to the Finish Line Festival stage on Saturday night following the 5K presented by Brooks.
With visitors coming from around the country and the globe, Las Vegas will enjoy an influx of participants, their family and friends all enjoying the world-class food options, staying in the luxury hotels, and partaking in the myriad of entertainment options that the city has to offer. With last year’s event generating an economic impact of $214.6 million for the city of Las Vegas, this year’s event looks to build on that and continue to showcase why it is one of the premier running events in the world. With 35,000 participants, 68 percent of whom are first time visitors to Las Vegas, filling out an approximate 110,000 hotel room nights when paired with family, friends, and supporters, the event will have the city buzzing. In addition, through the Rock This Town charitable program for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, local Las Vegas charitable groups will be the beneficiary of grant funding.
As part of the best-in-class running series, the course at the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon gives participants of all abilities a unique opportunity to run The Strip at night, touring iconic Las Vegas landmarks such as the ‘Welcome to Las Vegas’ sign, the Bellagio Fountains, and downtown Las Vegas before a stunning finish in front of the Volcano at the Mirage Hotel & Casino. The event will start on Saturday night at 6 p.m. with the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas 5K presented by Brooks followed by the 10K, half marathon and the marathon distances on Sunday evening. Participants can choose to partake in the “Remix Challenge” and earn a bonus third medal by running in both the 5K on Saturday and any distance on Sunday.
Following the nighttime Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas 5K presented by Brooks on Nov. 16, all participants from any distance and a guest will enjoy the return of the Saturday night headliner concert featuring Kesha, the first female artist to headline the event. The headline concert was previously held on Sunday but moved to Saturday to ensure participants from all distances can enjoy the high-energy performance. All concert goers must have a 5K bib or a Runner Perks wristband from the Health & Fitness Expo Presented by Intermountain Healthcare. In addition to the headliner concert, live bands and DJs of every genre will play along the racecourses entertaining and encouraging runners as they make their way to the finish line.
Sunday’s main event boasts runners from all walks of life as well as an impressive field of more than 50 elite runners in both the marathon and half marathon looking to set personal bests and potentially earn a spot at the upcoming US Olympic Trials. Notable athletes who will be competing include:
- Tyler Day (Flagstaff, Arizona, USA); Half Marathon –Firmly situated among the top competitors in the men’s half marathon field, Tyler Day is a six-time All American and a three-time national champion at Northern Arizona University. He recently posted a 13:25:06 finishing time in a 5K, along with a 28:04:44 in a 10K distance.
- Matthew Forgues (Chula Vista, California, USA); Marathon –One of two racewalkers that are set to compete in the event, Forgues has been racewalking since he was seven years old. At one point, he owned the California state record for racewalking at his alma mater, Boothbay Region High School. Forgues has medaled in the 50-kilometer walk at the last three USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships, earning bronze in 2017, silver in 2018 and gold in 2019. Forgues is aiming to qualify for the upcoming Olympic Trials.
- Angie Nickerson (Cedar City, Utah, USA); Half Marathon –Coming off of a personal best time of 1:14:44 at the 2019 Hunstville Half Marathon, Nickerson is slated to be one of the top contenders for the half marathon title at the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas half marathon. Nickerson is a seven-time Big Sky individual champion and holds five school records at Southern Utah University.
- Thommy Rivers Puzey (Flagstaff, Arizona, USA) Marathon –An ultramarathoner and the reigning Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas marathon champion, Puzey will be looking to defend his title at the 2019 edition. Puzey sports a marathon personal best time of 2:18:20, which he set at the 2017 Boston Marathon.
- Ellie Stevens-Meany (Las Vegas, Nevada, USA); Half Marathon–Looking to improve on her Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas half marathon times of 1:24:55 and 1:21:43 that she posted in 2017 and 2018, respectively, Stevens-Meany will be a force in the women’s half marathon field. She recently posted a half marathon time of 1:14:47.
- Dan Wallis (Wellington, New Zealand); Half Marathon –A top-level competitor at both distances, Wallis will be focusing on the half marathon at the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon. He boasts a 1:05:32 personal best in that distance, which he set at the 2015 Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon.
Some of the other notable participants will include:
- Chuck Wicks –Country music star and co-host of ACM nominated and internationally syndicated Ty Bentli radio show will take part in multiple events during race weekend. He and his wife Kasi Wicks will run the 5K with California-based participant, Taryn Parrish, who won a trip to run the 5K with Chuck Wicks on Instagram. Wicks’ mother, brother and sister-in-law will all be running the 10K. Wicks will earn a remix medal by following up his 5K on Saturday night with the half marathon on Sunday.
- Sebastien Bellin –Former professional basketball player from the Belgian Nationals was seriously injured in the 2016 Brussels Bombing with his image from the aftermath traveling the world. Standing at 6-foot-9-inches, Bellin has been committed to a journey of overcoming his new physical ailments while inspiring others to live every day to the fullest and helping those who have endured similar experiences. Bellin hopes to one day finish a full-distance IRONMAN triathlon and ultimately the IRONMAN World Championship. As he embarks on these goals, Bellin is using the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon as a launching point.
- Katie Dunlop –A Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness influencer created an online fitness community called Love Sweat Fitness (LSF) to encourage and support women to live a healthier lifestyle. Dunlop exercises daily but she is not a runner. She is participating in her first half marathon with her LSF team of five.
- Marcus Cook – Everything came to a head when a close friend and business mentor told Marcus the tragic news that he was dying of cancer. At that moment Cook realized he was dying because of his choices. With the help of gastric bypass surgery in 2015 that shed 100 pounds, an altered diet and a new love for endurance sports, Marcus has lost over 250 pounds over the last three and a half years, cutting his body fat percentage in half. He loves to inspire others looking to make changes and has traveled the country competing at IRONMAN triathlon and Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series events. As he crosses the finish line of the events, Marcus holds an image of his old self showcasing that change is possible.
Race weekend kicks off with a Health & Fitness Expo Presented by Intermountain Healthcare on Thursday, Nov. 14 and will run from 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., continuing on Friday, Nov. 15 from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 16 from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the Las Vegas Convention Center Hall S1. The expo will showcase vendors featuring the latest in running gear, nutrition and training and is free and open to the public.
Additional historical facts and stats for the 2019 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon:
- This will be the 11th year of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon
- The event will welcome 35,000 total registered participants (includes 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon)
- Runners are traveling from all 50 states and more than 65 countries, regions and territories
- Some runners are traveling from as far as Azerbaijan, Croatia, and Nicaragua
- 42 percent of participants are male
- 58 percent of participants are female
- 50 percent of participants will run their FIRST Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event
- 68 percent of participants are FIRST time visitors to Las Vegas
- At 89 years old, Eddie Lyonsis the oldest male participant in the 5K and the 10K, while Olga Pollaci is the oldest female participant in the 10K at 91 years old
- Koha Nguyenis the youngest male runner at 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon and Madeleine Lemay is the youngest female runner at 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon
- 92 percent of the runners are from outside of the State of Nevada
For more information or to register for the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon, visit RunRocknRoll.com/Las-Vegas. For more information on the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, please visit www.runrocknroll.com. Media may contact [email protected].
About Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon
For over 20 years, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series has made running fun by infusing each course with live bands, cheer teams and more. The pinnacle event of the series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & ½ Marathon, is the biggest and best night running event in the world. The busy Las Vegas Strip closes to traffic once a year for the 35,000 r participants from around the world to have a one-of-a-kind nighttime experience complete with music, lights and entertainment stationed along the course. The marathon and half marathon races start near MGM Grand and pass by all the must-see Vegas sights including the iconic ‘Welcome to Las Vegas’ sign, Paris Hotel’s Eiffel Tower, and the Fountains of Bellagio, before finishing at the foot of the Mirage Volcano. The on-course experiences in Las Vegas are endless and unique, including a Run-Through Wedding, where hundreds of pre-registered couples get married or renew their vows during a group ceremony and then run to the finish line together as newlyweds. Notorious for its impressive medal designs, the event is more than just a race, it’s a running and entertainment festival weekend. Exclusive runner perks, parties and entertainment are offered all weekend long including a pre-race headliner concert that has previously featured The Goo Goo Dolls, Kid Rock, All-American Rejects, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Snoop Dogg. This year, Kesha will take the stage after the Saturday night 5K as the event’s first female performer. www.runrocknroll.com/vegas.
About Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is the world’s largest running series taking part in over 30 destination events around the world every year. Established in 1998, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series simple idea of making running fun has transformed both the U.S. and global running landscape by infusing the course with live bands, cheer teams and entertaining water stations, creating a block-party atmosphere for participants and spectators alike. Focused on running, music and community, race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo showcasing the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. Events culminate with an entertaining finish-line festival featuring some of the biggest names in music, with past performances including Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, O.A.R. Aloe Blacc, Pitbull, Flo Rida, The Band Perry, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Goo Goo Dolls and Bret Michaels. Further information about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series can be found online at www.RunRocknRoll.com and follow @RunRocknRoll on all social platforms.
About The IRONMAN Group
As part of Wanda Sports Group, The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon and The Sun-Herald City2Surf® presented by Westpac, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with more than 235 events across 55+ countries. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
About Wanda Sports Group
Wanda Sports Group (Nasdaq: WSG) is a leading global sports events, media and marketing platform with a mission to unite people in sports and enable athletes and fans to live their passions and dreams. Through our businesses, including Infront and The IRONMAN Group, we have significant intellectual property rights, long-term relationships and broad execution capabilities, enabling us to deliver unrivalled sports event experiences, creating access to engaging content and building inclusive communities. We offer a comprehensive array of events, marketing and media services through three primary segments: Mass Participation, Spectator Sports and Digital, Production, Sports Solutions (DPSS). Our full-service platform creates value for our partners and clients as well as other stakeholders in the sports ecosystem, from rights owners, to brands and advertisers, and to fans and athletes. Headquartered in Beijing, China, Wanda Sports Group has more than 60 offices and 1,600 employees around the world.