TSN provides Canadian viewers four opportunities to catch the motivating and inspirational action
TAMPA, Fla. (Feb. 2, 2017) – The Subaru IRONMAN TV presentation of the 2016 IRONMAN® World Championship will return to TSN in Canada, chronicling this year’s edition of the iconic triathlon that took place on October 8, 2016 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i. For over 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship triathlon has showcased not only the raw power and competitive nature of the top endurance athletes in the world, but also some of the most awe-inspiring and impactful stories of courage and determination from age-group athletes and everyday individuals competing alongside them.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience as more than 30 cameras captured the action from the Hawaiian blue skies, across the barren lava fields and under the water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as more than 2,300 athletes representing 64 countries and territories swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain, proving that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE®.
With a special focus on Canadian athletes, viewers will have four opportunities to catch the action on TSN. Check local listings for details.
- Monday, February 6 @ 12:00ET on TSN5
- Tuesday, February 7 @ 23:00ET on TSN2
- Thursday, February 9 @ 15:30ET on TSN4
- Saturday, February 11 @ 15:00ET on TSN1/3/4
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship special:
- Exclusive interviews from current and former World Champions and other professional IRONMAN® athletes
- 2015 Female IRONMAN World Champion Daniela Ryf of Switzerland looks to claim victory for the second year in a row with a performance that will be hard to match
- Blistering race pace by Olympic Gold medalist and male IRONMAN World Champion Jan Frodeno of Germany who has reached the top heights in every level of triathlon
- Additional coverage of Canadian professionals Heather Wurtele, Brent McMahon and Lionel Sanders
- Fort McMurray firefighter David Stirling tackles the monumental challenge on behalf of a community still recovering from a devastating fire that destroyed nearly 10 percent of the city
- First-time journey of the inspiring Team Agar duo of father Jeff and his son Johnny, who battles cerebral palsy, teaching us that in life “sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn”
- Breaking barriers with Shirin Gerami as she becomes the first Iranian women to compete in and finish an IRONMAN triathlon
- The incredibly determined journey of Australian Turia Pitt who, against the odds, returned to competing in endurance events after suffering burns to 65% of her body when she was trapped by a grassfire while competing in an ultramarathon.
- Age is just a number to 83-year old Japanese athlete Hiromu Inada, who is determined to become the oldest IRONMAN finisher ever after missing the cut-off by six seconds in 2015.
A Wanda Sports Holdings company, IRONMAN operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, Iron Girl®, IRONKIDS®, six of nine International Triathlon Union World Triathlon Series races, road cycling events including the UCI Velothon Majors Series, mountain bike races, premier marathons and other multisport races. IRONMAN’s events, together with all other Wanda Sports Holdings events, provide more than 680,000 participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. The iconic IRONMAN® Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN® brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Beginning as a single race, IRONMAN has grown to become a global sensation with more than 260 events across 44 countries. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
About Wanda Sports Holding
Wanda Sports Holding is the world’s leading sports business entity, founded to capture the opportunities in the global sports industry and to contribute to the prosperous international sports landscape – in three key areas: 1) Spectator Sports (media & marketing business), 2) Participation Sports (active lifestyle business), 3) Services (digital, production and service business). Wanda Sports Holding incorporates the international sports marketing company Infront Sports & Media, the iconic endurance brand IRONMAN, and Wanda Sports China. The headquarters are in Guangzhou, China.