The world’s largest running industry conference presents perspectives from across the business of road racing, with immense experience and insight on commonly faced challenges – and how to solve them
DETROIT, Mich. – The annual Industry Conference powered by the ACTIVE Network is known for its standout programming and continually bringing in the brightest new stars in the sport of road running, and 2019 in Puerto Rico will be no exception.
Set for Sunday-Tuesday, Feb. 10-12 at the Puerto Rico Convention Center in San Juan, this year’s conference will feature more than 30 speakers from the top running events and businesses across the U.S. Conference registration is advised soon, the price goes up November 15.
“Our conference committee digs deep to ensure we have great knowledge, personality, and variety of experience from our speakers each year,” noted Christine Bowen, vice president of programming, partnerships and operations for Running USA. “Our 2019 lineup includes some great fresh perspectives from around the industry, who will deliver valuable takeaways.”
As previously announced, keynote speakers at the conference announced to date include:
- Kevin Rutherford, CEO of Nuun Hydration, who will deliver an opening session address on how your company culture can become a competitive advantage.
- Lennie Kwan, VP of customer experience at Race Roster, who will kick off a panel discussion on the power of CRM and intelligent marketing for the running business with insider insights on the popular technology.
One additional keynote speaker remains to be revealed, with more exciting announcements coming soon – stay tuned.
During the two full days of conference programming, attendees will again be able to immerse in two session formats that provide for fast-paced learning and promote the ability to learn from everyone in the room. Race Camps include an educational presentation from the hosting speaker about the topic at hand. For a full list of speaker biographies, visit the conference Speaker Page.
Race Camps: Topics and Speakers
- Ambassadors and Influencers – Sarah Pelfrey, Flying Pig
- Cancellations, postponements and delays – Beth Salinger, Fort2Base
- Code Red: Are you wasting revenue with discount codes – Jeff Matlow, imATHLETE
- Event Staffing: Sourcing & Management – Ted Metellus, NYRR
- Event Project Management: Tools & Tips – Abbey VanValkenburg, Race Day Events
- Experiential Excellence: Making your event memorable – Tim Cole, Mascot Sports
- Growing School & Youth Programs – Kelsey Beall, OC Marathon
- How selfies changed the finish line – Kirsten Fleming, Calgary Marathon
- Industry Standards – Heidi Swartz, Cowtown Marathon
- Managing Elite Athlete Programs – Matt Auger, Falmouth Road Race
- Race Director Therapy – Matt West, DMSE
- Relays, Race Series and Virtual Events – JT Service, Soul Focus Sports
- Sharing successful new trends – Fitz Koehler, The Morning Mile
- Sustaining and retaining volunteers – Thompson Lange, Big Sur Marathon
- Targeting demographic gaps in participation – Creigh Kelley, Colfax Marathon
Questions about travel to Puerto Rico? Find all the details and learn how easy it is on our Puerto Rico 411 page. Attendees are encouraged to register for conference soon before the next price increase on Nov. 15.
About the Running USA Industry Conference
Since its origins as a small gathering of Running USA’s founders in Southern California in 2004, the Running USA annual conference has grown to becoming the best-attended, most esteemed gathering of running industry professionals from around the USA and the world. Now moving locations each year, the conference has been held in Los Angeles, San Diego, Savannah, Houston, San Antonio, Orlando, New Orleans and now San Juan, Puerto Rico. Register here.
About Running USA
Running USA is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization devoted to improving the status and experience of distance running and racing in the United States through collective marketing and promotions, information and communications within the industry and to the national media, services to events and industry members, and the development of American world class stars. It seeks the advancement of the sport and the provision of value to each of its members’ events and businesses. For more information, visit RunningUSA.org