TAMPA, Fla. – With a renewed focus on the core pillars of bringing fun to the run with great music in a community environment, the 2018 Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is set to showcase why it continues to be the largest and best-in-class running series in the world. Beginning with the 2018 Synchrony Financial Rock ‘n’ Roll® Arizona Marathon & ½, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series began to unveil some of the new innovations and changes to improve the athlete and community experience.
Athletes can expect improvements and innovations to be rolled out during the course of the year, including increased music throughout the race; on-course nutrition, motivation and activations; technology integration; and specialized features for family, friends, and the surrounding community.
More Music Every Step of the Way: Music is at the core of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series DNA and 2018 is the year of more music than ever before.
- More music throughout the weekend and on race day with the Toyota Concert Series Headliner
- More live on-course entertainment with improved band stages
- New clearly identifiable mile markers with built-in speaker systems
- Race Pacers running with mobile speaker packs
- Customized Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series playlists available via Spotify – Link; Playlists labeled with beats per minute to cater to running experience level
Better Running Support: Race day is not just about the training done to get there (though it is important). It’s about course support from start to finish and we’re here to support you in having your best race ever.
- New clearly marked aid stations for water, Gatorade, Science in Sport Gel, and food
- Additional Science in Sport Gel stations on course
- Additional food offered on marathon courses and in post-race area
- “Aid Station Ahead” markers letting athletes know when they are approaching aid stations
Motivation and Activation: Along with a fresh look for our start and finish lines, on-course activations will motivate you every step of the way.
- New, illuminated start-line corral markers for improved organization
- New highly visible double-sided race pacer signs
- New merchandise store and products at Health & Fitness Expo
- New marathon finish experience – Red carpet finish; post-race finisher zone with more food options and massages
- More Porta-Potties for participants at start line and on course
Technology Integration: Beyond the music technology additions, participants, friends and family can expect innovations to improve race timing and tracking of athletes.
- New Bib-Tag timing technology through our partner, Sportstats
- New mobile app for IOS and Android with improved participant tracking
Spectator Improvements: Friends and Family have your back and in 2018, we’ve got theirs!
- New spectator grandstand seating at the finish line (select events)
- Spectator maps with best places to catch runners on course
- New live streaming feeds from half marathon and marathon course to finish line board (select events)
About Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is the world’s largest running series with more than 600,000 runners taking part in over 30 destination events around the world every year. Established in 1998, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series’ simple idea of making running fun has transformed both the U.S. and global running landscape by infusing the course with live bands, cheer teams and entertaining water stations, creating a block-party atmosphere for participants and spectators alike. Focused on running, music and community, race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo showcasing the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. Events culminate with an entertaining finish-line festival and Toyota Concert Series Headliner featuring some of the biggest names in music, with past performances including Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, O.A.R. Aloe Blacc, Pitbull, FloRida, The Band Perry, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Goo Goo Dolls and Bret Michaels. Further information about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series can be found online at www.RunRocknRoll.com and follow @RunRocknRoll on all social platforms.
A Wanda Sports Holdings company, IRONMAN operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, Iron Girl®, IRONKIDS®, International Triathlon Union World Triathlon Series races, road cycling events including the UCI Velothon® Series, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, premier marathons including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, and other multisport races. IRONMAN’s events, together with all other Wanda Sports Holdings events, provide more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. The iconic IRONMAN® Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN® brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Beginning as a single race, IRONMAN has grown to become a global sensation with more than 200 events across 50 countries. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.