4 New Races Added to 2018 RQ Calendar – Now 43 Races in 14 Countries
Boulder, CO (November 21, 2018) – 2018 will mark the 37th year for Race Across America (RAAM) – The World’s Toughest Bicycle Race. Riders come from across the globe to race 3,000 miles coast-to-coast across the USA. RAAM can be a life changing experience for racers and support crews. RAAM is the World Championship of ultra-bicycle racing.
RAAM is open to solo racers as well as 2, 4 and 8-person teams. Solo racers must qualify by completing a RAAM Qualifying race (RQ). No qualification is required for teams.
Whether trying to qualify for Solo RAAM, working on developing your ultra-racing skills under race conditions, or simply looking for the next great ultra-racing experience, there are now 43 opportunities in 14 countries to qualify for Solo RAAM – 31 road races and 12 time trials. These races will test your limits. Following are the 2018 RAAM sanctioned RQs:
RAAM Qualifiers – Road Races
All racers are on the course at the same time competing against each other as well as trying to complete the course within a pre-determined time. Solo racers finishing within the time cut-off qualify for Solo RAAM. Courses may be a single large loop, point-to-point or a combination. Climbing, overall difficulty and time cut-offs vary. Racers must be accompanied by a support crew.
- Ultra Spice 600, 1000 and 1750km (Goa, India – January 27, 2018)
- RAAM Texas Challenge (Marble Falls, TX – March 23, 2018)
- Shivalik Signature (Chandigarh, India – April 7, 2018)
- Race Across Italy (Silvi, Italy – April 28, 2018)
- Race Around Denmark (Horsens, Denmark – May 9, 2018)
- Race Around Slovenia (Postonja, Slovenia – May 16, 2018)
- Glocknerman Classic (888km) and Ultra (1000km) (Graz, Austria – May 30, 2018)
- Race Across the West (Oceanside, CA – June 12, 2018)
- Race Across America – 2 and 4-person Teams (Oceanside, CA – June 16, 2018)
- Race Across Germany (Flensburg, Germany – June 29, 2018)
- Dolomitica (Sarmede, Italy – July 6, 2018)
- Fireweed 400 (Sheep Mountain, AK – July 13, 2018)
- Race Across Oregon (Astoria, OR – July 2018 – date TBA)
- Race Around Austria (Attergau, Austria – August 13, 2018)
- Tortour (Schaffausen, Switzerland – August 16, 2018)
- L’Ultra Defi (Saguenay, Quebec, Canada – August 2018 – date TBA)
- Hoodoo 500 (St. George, UT – August 24, 2018)
- Swedish Ultrabike 610 (Koping, Sweden – August 2018 – date TBA)
- Race Around Ireland and Irish Ultra Challenge (Trim, County Meath, Ireland – August 26, 2018)
- Silver State 508 (Reno, NV – September 14, 2018)
- Natchez Trace 444 (Nashville, TN – October 5, 2018)
- No Country For Old Men – 383 and 1,000-mile (Alpine, TX – October 13, 2018)
- Deccan Cliffhanger (Pune, India – November 2018 – date TBA)
- Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge (Lake Taupo, New Zealand – November 2018 – date TBA)
Four of the established races have made important changes to the 2018 races: Ultra Spice has added a 3rd race; RAAM Texas Challenge now features a 500-mile course; Dolomitica has a new start location; and the Race Across Oregon will celebrate its 10th year with a new point-to-point course, starting in Astoria, OR and finishing in The Dalles, OR.
Two new road events have been added to the 2018 RQ Calendar: Shivalik Signature located in the north of India in the Shivalik Hills in the shadow of the Himalayas; and Race Around Denmark.
RAAM Qualifiers – Time Trials
All racers are on the course at the same time competing against each other as well as trying to compile as many miles as possible within 24 hours. Solo racers achieving a pre-determined mileage standard qualify for Solo RAAM. Courses are comprised of loops with support from a fixed location.
- Revolve24 – Bend Motorsports Park (Tailem Bend, SA, Australia – January 13, 2018)
- Pace Bend 24-Hour (Austin, TX – February 3, 2018)
- Sebring 24-Hour (Sebring, FL – February 10, 2018)
- Bessie’s Creek 24 and Gulf Coast 511 (Brookshire, TX – April 5, 2018)
- Xtreme Melfar 24-Hour Cycling Challenge (Middelfart, Denmark – June 2, 2018)
- Mid-Atlantic 12/24-Hour (Washington, NC – August 18, 2018)
- Revolve24 – Brands Hatch (London, England – September 15, 2018)
- Texas Time Trials 24-Hour and Tejas 500 (Glen Rose, TX – September 2018 – date TBA)
- IL24TE (Urim, Israel – October 17, 2018)
- 6-12-24 Hour World Time Trial Championships (Borrego Springs, CA – November 2018 – date TBA)
Two of the events have fixed distance races in addition to the 24-Hour races: Gulf Coast 511 at Bessie’s Creek; and Tejas 500 at the Texas Time Trials.
24-Hour racing has experienced strong growth. Two new time trial events have been added to the 2018 RQ Calendar: Revolve24 – Australia which runs on the Bend Motorsports track; and the Pace Bend 24-Hour located at Pace Bend Park west of Austin, TX.
Three events run on world famous motorsports circuits: The 2 Revolve24 races and Sebring.
Self-Supported Road Races
All racers are on the course at the same time competing against each other as well as trying to complete the course within a pre-determined time. Solo racers finishing within the time cut-off qualify for Solo RAAM. No support vehicles are allowed.
- HardCro Ultra Race (Molnat, Croatia – date TBA)
Dates are based on most recent information and should be confirmed with event management. We are waiting on start dates for 6 road races and 2 time trials. Watch for start dates for these 8 events.
In addition, there are 3 events (1 road race and 2 time trials) in 3 countries currently pending approval. These events will be added to the 2018 RQ Calendar in the near future. Watch for these events.
For more information on RAAM – The World’s Toughest Bicycle Race, visit www.raceacrossamerica.org.
For further information please contact:
Race Across America
More About RAAM
Race Across America, Inc. and Team Get Outdoors, LLC (dba Soul Events) are world leaders in the sport of ultra-bicycle racing. The Race Across America (RAAM), a 3,000-mile coast-to-coast race across the USA, is the world’s premier ultra-cycling race – the World Championship of Ultra-Cycling. The Race Across the West, a 900-mile race across the Western US, the RAAM Cycling Challenge Series of ultra road races, and the 6-12-24 Hour World Time Trial Championships are all part of the RAAM brand. In addition, RAAM offers seminars on ultra bicycle racing and sanctions ultra-cycling races worldwide.