PeopleForBikes Coalition Board Meets to Discuss 2022 Objectives, Data Investment and Foundation Growth
May 11, 2022
BOULDER, COLO (May 11, 2022) /ENDURANCE SPORTSWIRE/ – The PeopleForBikes Coalition Board of Directors, made up of 20 of the bike industry’s top leaders, met virtually for their semi-annual gathering on May 10.
The board’s primary topic of discussion was reviewing progress on the organization’s 2022 Workplan goals, centered around PeopleForBikes’ new vision. Framed under the three strategies of infrastructure, policy and participation, President and CEO Jenn Dice and the PeopleForBikes leadership team walked the board through the organization’s work so far in 2022, as well as their plans for the remainder of the year and beyond.
“In order to be the best bicycling nation in the world, we need to accelerate the construction of safe, fun, connected places to ride; advance pro-bike and pro-bike-business policy and reduce barriers to access and welcome more people to the joys of bicycling across the U.S.,” said An Le, vice chair of the board and global marketing director of Giant Group. “We have a lot of work to do and the PeopleForBikes team is tracking well on their 2022 objectives. We see continued momentum and opportunity for bicycling going forward.”
Gloria Hwang, founder and CEO of Thousand, was approved by the board to join the Executive Committee. Hwang’s leadership in assisting PeopleForBikes over the last several years includes her role on the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association Trade Association Committee, being a driving force promoting Ride Spot Challenges and speaking at many PeopleForBikes events. Hwang was also the recipient of the 2022 Rising Star Award at the recent Bicycle Leadership Conference.
“I’m so excited to further strengthen my engagement with PeopleForBikes’ work,” said Hwang. “I look forward to working alongside other board members to make the new PeopleForBikes vision a reality and getting more industry leaders involved in their work.”
The board took a moment to review PeopleForBikes’ Bicycle Leadership Conference, which took place in Dana Point, California, in late March. The conference was PeopleForBikes’ first in-person industry event in nearly three years due to the COVID-19 pandemic and hosted 300 attendees from across the bike industry.
“Thanks to the help of our board and committee leaders, we were able to bring the bike industry back together in person to learn, network and address some of the most important issues facing bicycling and the bike industry,” said Dice. “We look forward to more opportunities to gather at the rest of our Bicycle Leadership Series events throughout 2022.”
Patrick Hogan, PeopleForBikes’ bicycle industry research manager, reviewed progress on PeopleForBikes’ three-year plan for data investment, aimed at providing the bicycle industry with enhanced offerings on participation trends and market data, as well as innovative reporting to tie insights together.
“Prioritizing investments in data improvement is essential to a healthy and thriving future for the bike industry,” said Ian Christie, board member and president and CEO of Summit Bicycles. “The more up-to-date information we have, the better we can react, adapt and plan proactively in this constantly evolving market.”
Finally, PeopleForBikes’ Vice President of Philanthropy Nancy Hershfield discussed the direction of the PeopleForBikes Foundation, the 501(c)3 arm of the organization, including building a network of influencers outside the bike industry to better support our more and better bicycling as well as expanding the Foundation’s board of directors.
PeopleForBikes Coalition Board of Directors
- Chair of the Board: Chris Speyer, Vice President Merchandising Product and Co-op Brands, REI
- Vice Chair: An Le, Global Marketing Director, Giant Bicycle
- Secretary: Michael Mercuri, Board Member, SRAM
- Treasurer: Pat Cunnane, President and COO, Yuba Bicycles
- Bob Burns, Vice President and Senior Legal Officer, Trek Bicycle Corporation
- Ian Christie, President and CEO, Summit Bicycles
- Bernie Doering, Vice Chair, BPSA Trade Association Committee
- Joe Graney, CEO, Santa Cruz Bicycles and COO, PON Bike North America
- Nick Hage, General Manager, Cycling Sports Group
- Gloria Hwang, Founder and CEO, Thousand
- Matt Moore, General Counsel, Quality Bicycle Products
- Nolan Moser, Assistant Vice President, Bicycle Component Division, Shimano North America
- Larry Pizzi, Chief Commercial Officer, Alta Cycling Group
- Kim Price, Leader of People and Culture, Specialized Bicycle Components
- Mike Radenbaugh, CEO and Founder, Rad Power Bikes
- Patrick Seidler, CEO, Wilderness Trail Bikes
- Allison Straub, President, Burley Design
- Rich Tauer, President, Quality Bicycle Products
- Daniel Trujillo, Partner and Chief Compliance Officer, McKinsey and Company
- Claudia Wasko, Vice President, Bosch eBike Systems Americas
PeopleForBikes is making biking better for everyone by uniting millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. The PeopleForBikes Coalition has more than 300 supplier members and 1.4 million supporters in its grassroots network. When people ride bikes, great things happen. Join us at PeopleForBikes.org.