COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — For the second straight year, USA Triathlon will welcome physicians, nurses, allied health professionals, race directors and coaches to the Medical Multisport Conference, scheduled for Nov. 5-7 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
Beginning with the opening session at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, the conference will feature a number of expert panels and breakout sessions, focusing on topics such as injury prevention, bike fit solutions, paratriathlon development and more. Legendary IRONMAN physician Dr. Bob Laird, who has been in charge of the medical support at IRONMAN World Championship events since 1981, will serve as the keynote speaker on Friday morning.
- Chad Asplund, M.D.
- Paul Berlin, MS, NRP, IRONMAN Medical Tent Director
- Todd Carver, MS, Chief Fit and Education Officer of Retül
- Gino Cinco, PT, Cert. ART, Function Smart Physical Therapy, San Diego, Calif.
- Jason J. Diehl, M.D., Primary Care Sports Medicine at MAX Sports Medicine, OhioHealth Sports Medicine Center, Columbus, Ohio
- Maggie Fournier, D.P.M., Gundersen Health Systems, La Crosse, Wisc.
- Shana Harrington, P.T., Ph.D., SCS, MTC, USA Head of Domestic Classification
- Robert Laird, M.D., F.A.A.P., Medical Director; IRONMAN World Championship
- John M. Martinez, M.D., Primary Care Sports Medicine Physician, Kaiser Permanente, San Diego, Calif.
- Thomas K. Miller, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery, Virginia Tech Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, Va.; Physician Director, IRONMAN World Championship and Past Medical Director, USA Triathlon
- Troy Smurawa, M.D., Pediatric Sports Medicine Physician, Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron, Ohio
- Randy Wilber, Ph.D., Sport Physiologist, U.S. Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, Colo.
“We are continuing the conference in year two to encourage medical professionals to expand their medical multisport education, working at multisport events and growing awareness about injury prevention,” said Meg Weagley, USA Triathlon Multisport Education Manager. “We are excited to offer new topics in the second year and showcase some of USA Triathlon’s partners and constituents that correlate with the medical professional community.”
Early-bird registration rates are available now until Sept. 15. Three Retül quick fits will be raffled off to attendees who register by Sept. 30. Attendees who have already registered are eligible. The fits last 30 minutes and will take place on Thursday, Nov. 5 from 12-3 p.m. Attendees can choose to bring their bike but do not need it to be eligible to win. If you have questions, email Meg Weagley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information on the Medical Multisport Conference, including how to register, is available at usatriathlon.org/medicalmultisportconference.
About USA Triathlon
USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 races and connects with nearly 500,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work with athletes, coaches, and race directors on the grassroots level, USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of the ITU and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).