Parent Organization of Indianapolis Monumental Marathon Renamed Beyond Monumental
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind., Sept 14, 2016 – Eight years after establishing the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, the organization that puts on the event announced a new name that demonstrates its growth beyond its well-known 26.2 mile road race and better identifies with its other monumental events, programs and partnerships. Indianapolis Monumental Marathon Inc. is now Beyond Monumental. The timing of the new name coincides with the announcement of a five year sponsor extension of the Apex Monumental Challenge, new events and new partnerships.
“Beyond Monumental is more than a name,” explains Blake Boldon, executive director. “It creates an exciting new culture and defines a larger purpose for our organization. It speaks to our participants who go beyond the extra mile. It speaks to our programs that go beyond the race events and into classrooms and the community. This new name sets the stage for all that we do – and at a time when it is evident we are doing more than a race.”
In addition to announcing its organizational name change: Beyond Monumental has released news of several significant corporate sponsorships and expanded programs and partnerships.
- A five year extension, through 2020, of the Apex Benefits title sponsorship of the Apex Monumental Challenge. The Apex Monumental Challenge is an employer-based wellness initiative that incentivizes employees to get active by running, walking or volunteering at Beyond Monumental events.
- Monumental Kids Movement will span Marion County for the first time. The nine week youth running program currently serves students within 34 schools in Center Township, including 30 IPS schools. Beyond Monumental has now launched the program in 15 schools in MSD Lawrence Township and an additional two in MSD Wayne Township.
- Beyond Monumental has created INDYTHON, a unique opportunity for participants to celebrate finishing the two definitive fall running events, the Indianapolis Half Marathon & 5K on Saturday, Oct. 8 and the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K on Saturday, Nov. 5. In addition to special bragging rights, INDYTHONers will receive an exclusive medal after finishing the race on Nov 5.
- This school year, Beyond Monumental expanded its partnership with Teachers’ Treasures to create the Teachers’ Treasures Monumental Matchup, an inter-school competition to build awareness of its event and distribute more school supplies to the winning locations.
- Last month, the organization expanded its support of the fitness community by hosting a free training clinic at the downtown CityWay Family & Sports Medicine, a Franciscan Physician Network. Franciscan Health continues its role as the presenting sponsor of the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon for the last eight years.
- In June, CNO Financial Group, Inc. announced a multi-year title sponsorship of the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, which also includes the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon, CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental 5K and CNO Financial Monumental Kids Fun Run. CNO Financial Group is the first sponsor to have the naming rights for Indiana’s largest marathon.
“The new name, Beyond Monumental, embodies where the organization has come and where we are headed,” shared Katherine Coble, Board President. “Beyond Monumental is limitless and helps us all capture our true potential. We are excited about this new era, these new opportunities and this new direction that truly goes beyond … we are Beyond Monumental.”
“Beyond Monumental truly captures the spirit of Indiana and collective focus on driving better health throughout this amazing state…and beyond,” said Vanessa Brown, Vice President, Apex Benefits. “The Apex Benefits team is thrilled to continue our partnership with the Beyond Monumental organization. It is an honor and privilege to work side-by-side with the Monumental family as we encourage our community to be active and promote healthy workplaces through the Apex Monumental Challenge.”
“We are proud to continue with our long-standing support and sponsorship of the Beyond Monumental organization, whose race has grown dramatically and has become internationally recognized,” said James Callaghan, MD, president and CEO of Franciscan Health, with three hospital locations in central Indiana, which was the founding presenter of the annual event. “Not only does this event elevate awareness of health and fitness, it returns lasting dividends to the community, including support of Indianapolis Public Schools’ programs for youngsters.”
Beyond Monumental will host the 21st Annual Indianapolis Half Marathon, 5k and kids one mile run on Saturday, Oct. 8 and the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, a half marathon, 5k and kids fun run on Saturday, Nov.5.