Athletes achieve world records, world rankings, and national championship
Boise, ID – January 10, 2018 – Team MPI (Multisport Performance Institute) – Team MPI’s nationwide team of 15 coaches wrapped an amazing year of endurance coaching, working with athletes to 540+ race finishes including new world records and participation in regional, national, and world championship events.
Among the notable athlete accomplishments is that of Michael Mendoza, “The Patriot Racer,” who broke the world record for the number of half-iron distance races completed in a year. While not yet officially validated by the Guinness book of World Records, Mendoza completed 26 total half-iron distance races and 20 IRONMAN-branded 70.3 races, eclipsing the prior records of 23 and 18 respectively. Among his finishes were 7 podiums and 18 sub-5 hour races, resulting in 9th place overall in the US in the M35-39 division for IRONMAN 70.3. Mendoza is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and recipient of the Navy Cross for valor in combat. He trained with Senior Coach Allen Stanfield.
At a World Championship level, three Team MPI athletes earned medals at the ITU Grand Final Paratriathlon World Championships in Rotterdam: Mark Barr – silver PTS2 Men; Jamie Brown – bronze, PTS4 Men; and Aaron Scheidies with Guide Colin Riley – Silver, PTVI Men.
At a National level, Jaqueline Sasaki won the F40-44 National Championship for Standard Distance Duathlon.
Of no less importance are all the first-time accomplishments, the PR’s, and the personal challenges overcome on the way to the finish line in swimming, cycling, mountain biking, running, and triathlon events!
On the coaching front, Team MPI welcomed four new coaches in 2017: David Bauerle, April Corey, Patty Collins, and Manuel Delgado Gaona, M.D. Co-founder and Head Coach John Murray transitioned to Coach Emeritus status following his retirement.
Team MPI’s is known for its collaborative and mentor-based coaching program. Here are some of the highlights of our coaching team in 2017:
- Led/coached invitational camps for USA Paratriathlon National and Development Teams, USA Triathlon Juniors, and Team Semper Fi / America’s Fund
- Conducted Open Water Swim Clinic, Cycling Skills Clinic, Bike Fit Clinic and Long Course Tri Camp in Panama City, FL
- Directed seventh and final season of the Portofino Tri Series super-sprint races – 44 total races offered in Pensacola, FL
- Earned additional coaching certifications:
- Coaches Liesl Begnaud, Amanda Liebovitz, Chris Palmquist, Mark Sortino, and Mark Turner – USAT Paratriathlon Certified Coaches (inaugural year of the certification)
- Coach David Bauerle – IRONMAN Certified Coach
- Coach April Corey – RRCA (Road Runners Club of America) Certified Coach
- Coaches Laura Henry and Mark Turner – VFS Certified Bike Fitter
- Authored articles for USAT and Triathlete Magazine
- Key authors of USAT Paratriathlon Coaching Manual
- Wrote 116 articles published on the Team MPI blog
- Spoke at regional coaching and race director meetings
Building on our many years of experience conducting highly successful camps and clinics, Team MPI is expanding its offerings for 2018. Join us for the following events:
- Team MPI Coaching Seminar (6 CEUs; open to athletes) – Houston, TX – Jan 20
- La Porte Triathlon Camp – La Porte, TX – Feb 23-25
- Team MPI Spring Training Camp – Henderson (Las Vegas), NV – Feb 26/28 – March 4
- IM 70.3 Texas Camp – Galveston, TX – March 10
- Team MPI Endurance MTB Camp – Boise, ID – June 20-24
- Team MPI IMFL Long Course Camp – Panama City, FL- Sept 14-16
Team MPI partners include American Bicycle Group/Quintana Roo, blueseventy, and ithlete, Affiliates include BodyHealth, XTERRA Boards, Endurance Films Training Institute, Energy Lab, and Epix Gear.
Mark Sortino, Head Coach and Founder of Team MPI, remarked, “We’re super excited about our continued growth and our commitment to our mission and to our partners. We look forward to being a part of athletes’ journeys in 2018!”
Athletes and coaches interested in joining Team MPI are encouraged to contact coaches@teamMPI.com.
About Team MPI
Team MPI (Multisport Performance Institute) offers individual coaching, training packages, camps, and clinics for endurance sport athletes as well as mentoring for coaches. Established in 2010, Team MPI is a nationwide staff of coaches who work in a collaborative and mentorship-based environment to bring best practices to each athlete in their unique pursuit of sport. The team is led by Head Coaches Mark Sortino and Chris Palmquist; senior coaches are Amanda Leibovitz, Allen Stanfield, and Mark Turner; and staff coaches are David Bauerle, Liesl Begnaud, Patty Collins, April Corey, Dr. Manuel Delgado Gaona, Laura Henry, Mandi Kowal, Becky Piper, Aaron Scheidies, and Adam Sczech. Learn more about Team MPI at TeamMPI.com, follow @TeamMPI on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
For further information, contact: