Tata Consultancy Services, Premier Partner of New York Road Runners and title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon, joins NYRR Foundation Partners New Balance and United Airlines, and first-time race partners to celebrate the world’s largest marathon through exciting race-week events and activations
New York – New York Road Runners and its official partners are proud to announce a variety of exciting events and activations surrounding the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon. This year’s activities are highlighted by enhanced technology, commemorative merchandise, and a variety of free and open-to-the-public events for the thousands of runners, spectators, and volunteers that are a part of New York City’s most popular sporting event. The TCS New York City Marathon will take place Sunday, November 5 with an expected 50,000 finishers.
“We are proud to partner with organizations that are committed to finding new and exciting ways to enhance the TCS New York City Marathon experience for the runners, spectators, and fans around the world,” said Sarah Cummins, head of business development and strategic partnerships at New York Road Runners. “From new engagements with robotics and artificial intelligence to a variety of free and public events featuring professional athletes and notable runners and an all-new merchandise line from New Balance, the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon will be the most exciting yet.”
Activation highlights surrounding race week are included below, and a full list of this year’s TCS New York City Marathon partners is available at www.tcsnycmarathon.org/about-the-race/partners.
TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services, one of the world’s leading IT services and consulting firms, is the Premier Partner of NYRR, the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon, and the Official Youth and Community Services Partner of NYRR.
- NYRR and TCS have come together on Performance Metrics Powered by TCS, which features notable runners with wearable technology that will collect biometric data, including heart rate, breathing rate, pace, and speed, to track their performance. The data will be showcased in real time for the race broadcast, which airs live on WABC-TV, Channel 7 in New York and ESPN2 nationally on Sunday, November 5 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Viewers will experience the race from a new perspective through John Brenkus, host of ESPN’s Sport Science, who will provide analysis during live look-ins with the runners, breaking down all the data and explaining to viewers what it all means as the group runs 26.2 miles through the five boroughs of New York City. The group of notable runners who will participate in Performance Metrics Powered by TCS features a mix of personalities including Kathrine Switzer, 2009 New York City Marathon champion and American marathon legend Meb Keflezighi, and media personality and former NFL star Tiki Barber.
- To highlight the evolving power of robotics and artificial intelligence, TCS is launching two new engagements this year. The TCS New York City Marathon Chatbot Powered by Tata Consultancy Services will welcome guests, promote the TCS New York City Marathon Mobile App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services and answer common guest FAQs.
- In addition, runners and guests will have the opportunity to engage with Pepper, a humanoid robot. Through unique programming, the robot will welcome guests, promote the TCS New York City Marathon Mobile App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services, and encourage and congratulate runners.
- Runners and fans can experience the sights and sounds of the TCS New York City Marathon in full virtual reality. Users can cheer on runners with the crowds at First Avenue or stand on the finish line as they cruise by. This guided immersive VR experience is available at the Tata Consultancy Services zone in the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion.
- The 2017 TCS New York City Marathon Mobile App Powered by Tata Consultancy Services, available now, features live on-map tracking on race day, an interactive expo map, Race Predictor, and a number of other features. Developed by Tata Consultancy Services, the app is available for download free of charge at the iTunes Store and Google Play.
- TCS will again sponsor the TCS goIT Marathon App Contest and Awards Presentation, taking place at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion on Friday, November 3 at 2:00 p.m. Finalists from city schools will present the fitness app they have created to a panel of judges including Sury Kant, President TCS North America, UK and Europe, TCS; Michael Capiraso, NYRR President and CEO; and Rob DiMartini, New Balance President and CEO.
New in 2017, NYRR is proud to welcome New Balance an NYRR Foundation Partner and the official footwear and apparel sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon.
- For the first year as part of its year-round partnership with NYRR, New Balance will serve as the presenting sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon Expo. In 2017, the three-day exhibition, where all race participants will pick up their race number and New Balance shirt, will feature an expanded space inside the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, making it the largest running exhibition in the country. Official TCS New York City Marathon merchandise will be available for purchase in the New Balance space, which will sit alongside more than 150 exhibitors to welcome an expected 125,000+ runners and fans from around the world.
- New Balance’s All Roads Lead to NYC campaign will celebrate the emotion of the marathoner’s journey from start to finish. The campaign features real 2016 TCS New York City Marathon finishers with their hands in the air in a victory pose that embodies a human “Y.” To celebrate that emotion, New Balance will offer NYC Victory Pose locations throughout the city, with life sized “N” and “C” photo backdrops inviting visitors to become the “Y.” The NYC Victory Pose kicked off October 29 at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion and is available in other locations around New York City, including the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub.
- The New Balance Run Concierge will offer a variety of services to TCS New York City Marathon runners and their friends and family. The Run Concierge will be available in four locations across New York City, each with a different theme, and will feature a unique experience at each. At the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub, visitors can take part in the New Balance Test Drive, which allows them to test a pair of New Balance running footwear for free and unlock a surprise gift bag. The TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion will also host the New Balance Run Concierge, offering any visitor – runner or non-runner – who purchases a marathon-badged top free customization. The Run Concierge will be available at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion through November 3 and at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub beginning November 2 through November 4.
- New Balance commissioned five local artists to create murals in each of the five boroughs in celebration of the TCS New York City Marathon. The art by David Park in Staten Island (827 Castleton Avenue), Doves in Queens (30th Avenue and Wellington Court), Wayne in the Bronx (Bruckner Boulevard and Lincoln Avenue), Ron English in Manhattan (1st Avenue and St. Marks), and AvOne in Brooklyn (307 McKibbin Street) embodies the spirit of each borough and allow visitors to step into the artwork.
- On race day, New Balance will host the New Balance Mile 20 Block Party to push runners through the proverbial “wall” with live music by Bronx DJs, a large interactive digital screen, encouraging words from fellow New Yorkers, and a curated a cheer zone.
- On Monday, November 6, runners and their friends and family can stop by the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion to celebrate their achievement and purchase New Balance finisher gear.
- During race week, for each pair of co-branded athletic shoes purchased at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the NB Run Hub or on the New Balance website, New Balance will donate a pair of shoes to NYRR’s youth programs through the 1 for You 1 for Youth* program. More than 267,000 youth are served nationally through NYRR’s free youth running programs and events, including 134,000 across New York City’s five boroughs.
United Airlines, an NYRR Foundation Partner and a year-round supporter of NYRR programs and events, has been a partner of NYRR for more than 20 years and is the Official Airline of the TCS New York City Marathon.
- In celebration of championship marathoner Meb Keflezighi’s 26th and final competitive marathon, United Airlines welcomed Meb to the TCS New York City Marathon for race week by presenting him with his final race bib as he arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport on Monday, October 30.
- Prepare for take-off with United Airlines at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance. Visit the United Airlines Take-Off Dome, a 360-degree immersive performance visualization experience that will prep travelers and runners for TCS New York City Marathon race day or wherever their journey takes them.
- Celebrate at the TCS New York City Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines on Friday, November 3; pre-show at 4:45 p.m.; Parade of Nations at 5:30 p.m., followed by the TCS New York City Marathon Fireworks Presented by Poland Spring. The event opens at 4:00 p.m. Grandstand seating is available to ticket-holders, and overflow standing room is available along the parade route.
New at the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon
New York Road Runners is thrilled to welcome BEDGEAR, the fast-growth PERFORMANCE® lifestyle brand, as the Official Mattress and Performance Sleep Partner of the 2017 TCS New York City Marathon. Throughout race week in combination with course strategy sessions, NYRR coaches will present sleep tips provided by BEDGEAR highlighting the importance of rest as part of the marathon training experience. In addition, BEDGEAR sleep science and sleep meditation sessions will take place at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub and the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion, and personalized, complete Sleep System technology-based fittings will take place at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance.
Abbott is the title partner of the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K and the Abbott World Marathon Majors, a championship-style competition for marathon runners comprised of six annual races including the Tokyo, Boston, Virgin Money London, BMW BERLIN, Bank of America Chicago, and TCS New York City Marathons.
- In 2017, the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K will host the USA Track & Field (USATF) 5K Championships featuring 10 Olympians and six members of Team USA from the 2017 IAAF World Championships vying for a record $60,000 prize purse and the title of U.S. champion.
Michelob ULTRA and New York Road Runners renewed their partnership in 2017 in a deal extending to 2019. Michelob ULTRA, the superior light beer that champions living an active and balanced lifestyle, is an NYRR Strategic Partner and the official beer of the TCS New York City Marathon.
- In 2017, Michelob ULTRA offered 95 runners the chance to run the TCS New York City Marathon as part of Team ULTRA. The Team ULTRA runners bring unique stories to the marathon field. These include the story of Tracey McGee of New Jersey, who completed a marathon in 2016 with a broken hip and now wants a chance to show what she can do when running a marathon healthy, and Bryan Brinson of Georgia, who will run his first TCS New York City Marathon in honor of his son who recently passed away.
- Michelob ULTRA will activate at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance with an interactive mosaic photo wall inviting runners and spectators to participate.
HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY
Hospital for Special Surgery and New York Road Runners renewed their partnership in 2017 in a deal extending to 2021. Hospital for Special Surgery is a strategic partner and official hospital of NYRR providing year-round programming and recovery support across the five boroughs.
- During TCS New York City Marathon race week, Hospital for Special Surgery will offer a variety of free events including a daily speaker series at the TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance, foam rolling and strength training classes at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion and at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the New Balance Run Hub, and post-race recovery on Monday, November 6 at the TCS New York City Marathon Pavilion.
Poland Spring® Brand 100% Natural Spring Water is a Strategic Partner of NYRR and title partner of the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff.
- In 2017, Poland Spring returns as the title partner of the Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff. The five-mile race in Central Park ushers in the start to TCS New York City Marathon race week. Poland Spring offered giveaways, free samples, lawn games, and exciting photo activations to get runners in the race-week spirit.
WABC-TV, CHANNEL 7, AND ESPN2
The 2017 TCS New York City Marathon broadcast is produced in partnership with IMG Productions and will be televised live on Sunday, November 5, on WABC-TV, Channel 7 in the New York tri-state area from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET. For the rest of the nation, the broadcast can be viewed on ESPN2 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ET. and via WatchESPN on computers, tablets, smartphones, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360, and Xbox One for those who have video subscriptions from affiliated providers. Additionally, the race will be available live in Spanish via ESPN Deportes+ and internationally via a variety of global broadcast partners.
Pre-race coverage will be carried live in the New York tri-state area on WABC-TV, Channel 7 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. ET on Sunday, November 5. Additional race-weekend programming on WABC-TV, Channel 7 includes live coverage of the TCS New York City Marathon Opening Ceremony Presented by United Airlines on Friday, November 3, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and the Countdown to the Starting Line on Saturday, November 4, from 7:30 to 8:00 p.m. ET. View all the broadcast details, including online and via mobile devices.
For the latest TCS New York City Marathon news and media information, please visit the NYRR online media center. Also, follow us on Twitter @nyrrnews. To join the social media conversation, search #TCSNYCMarathon.
About the TCS New York City Marathon
The TCS New York City Marathon is the premier event of New York Road Runners (NYRR) and the largest marathon in the world. Over 1,000,000 people have finished the race since its first running in 1970 with just 127 entrants and 55 finishers running four laps around Central Park. The race expanded to all five boroughs in 1976 and just celebrated its 40th year as a five-borough affair. Held annually on the first Sunday of November, the race features over 50,000 runners including the world’s top professional athletes and a vast range of competitive, recreational, and charity runners. Participants from approximately 125 countries tour the city, starting on Staten Island at the foot of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and running through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx before ending in Manhattan. The NYRR Youth Invitational at the TCS New York City Marathon covered 1.8 miles of the race course in Central Park, beginning near mile 24 and finishing at the famed TCS New York City Marathon finish line. More than one million spectators and thousands of volunteers line the city streets in support of the runners, while millions more watch the television broadcast in 175 countries and territories, including viewers in the New York area on WABC-TV, Channel 7, nationally on ESPN2, and via various international broadcast partners. The race is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, which features the world’s top marathons—Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York—and crowns the top professional male and female marathoners each year. Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting, and business solutions organization, is the premier partner of NYRR and the title sponsor of the TCS New York City Marathon. The 47th running of the TCS New York City Marathon is set for November 5, 2017. To learn more, visit www.tcsnycmarathon.org.
*For every pair of athletic shoes sold to a customer at the NYRR RUNCENTER featuring the NB Run Hub NYC in New York City, New Balance shall donate a pair of new athletic shoes to New York Road Runners, a 501(c)(3) public charity, for the benefit of a New York Road Runners supported youth program, up to a maximum value of $500,000 based on New Balance’s then current wholesale pricing. This Promotion shall run from December 12, 2016 to December 31, 2017.