Central Coast off-road bike trail event in private Wild Cherry Canyon featured two mountain bike races plus Race SLO Dirt Festival; mountain bike pro Rebecca Rusch rides & celebrates with her tribe; The Land Conservancy of San Luis Obispo event beneficiary
AVILA BEACH, Calif. – On a beautiful Sunday morning at the inaugural SLO MTB trail bike race in scenic, private Wild Cherry Canyon, husband & wife Brad Bingham, 40, Steamboat Springs, CO and Hannah Bingham, 34, were the 28 mile champions, clocking 2 hours, 22 minutes, 13 seconds and 2:50:34, respectively, while in the 13 mile, Garrett Beutel, 15, San Luis Obispo, CA and Nike Matanza, 37, San Diego crossed the finish line first in 1:17:00 and 1:28:45, respectively. The Race SLO-produced event, hosted by HomeFed and PG&E as a benefit for The Land Conservancy of San Luis Obispo County, featured challenging trail terrain with 6,000-plus feet (28 Mile) and 2,700-plus feet (13 Mile) of elevation change.
“The inaugural mountain bike races were the perfect addition and cap to an incredible endurance weekend of athletic achievement and celebration,” said Samantha Pruitt, Race SLO Founder & CEO. “We thank and applaud all the participants, our event partners & sponsors, vendors, festival musicians, support teams, volunteers and staff for making the SLO Ultra & MTB such a success and wonderful experience.”
At the inaugural SLO MTB, the finishers earned collectible wooden, leather-strapped Wild Cherry Canyon-inspired medals, and the top three athletes overall in all races & age groups received awards.
Twenty-two (22) committed endurance athletes completed Saturday’s trail race and Sunday’s bike race to earn the coveted SLO Ultra + MTB Double badass belt buckle.
In addition, mountain bike pro Rebecca Rusch, who finished runner-up in the 28 mile event, had an interactive Q&A session and later also signed posters & her book Rusch to Glory. She and fellow Race SLO ambassador ultra running star Krissy Moehl also cheered on the bikers and awarded medals to the proud finishers.
The Race SLO Dirt Festival, held at the SLO MTB finish line, featured bluegrass music from Lucky Nines throughout the day. Delicious, hot, fresh Rib Line BBQ also was served along with cold Lagunitas beer and non-alcoholic beverages.
The inaugural edition drew more than 250 mountain bikers from 6 states. The youngest entrant was 9-year-old Neil Schwartz (San Luis Obispo, CA) who astoundingly finished the 28 Mile race and the oldest entrant was James Erisman, 69, from Baywood-Los Osos, CA who completed the 13 Mile race.
Inaugural SLO MTB
Wild Cherry Canyon, Avila Beach, CA, Sunday, September 10, 2017
1) Brad Bingham, 40, Colorado Springs, CO, 2:22:13
2) Troy Deibert, 46, Truckee, CA, 2:26:39
3) Jacob Landers, 43, San Luis Obispo, CA, 2:33:54
1) Hannah Bingham, 34, Colorado Springs, CO, 2:50:34
2) Rebecca Rusch, 49, Ketchum, ID, 3:01:04
3) Julianne Silva, 42, Santa Maria, CA, 3:08:05
1) Garrett Beutel, 15, San Luis Obispo, CA, 1:17:00
2) Jack Brown, 15, Danville, CA, 1:20:31
3) Matt Genovese, 39, Santa Barbara, CA, 1:22:04
1) Nike Matanza, 37, San Diego, CA, 1:28:45
2) Carrie Lamb, 19, Thousand Oaks, CA, 1:36:20
3) Kelsie Jarratt, 25, Shell Beach, CA, 1:44:32
SLO Ultra + MTB Double (22)
- Michael Brannon, 57, Santa Maria, CA
- Molly Broadwater, 41, Bishop, CA
- Mike Brown, 42, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Regan Burns, 49, Agoura Hills, CA
- Craig Canfield, 56, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Patrick Conneely, 41, Ventura, CA
- Alexander Cost, 30, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Jessica Dahlberg, 37, Santa Barbara, CA
- Shawn Freeman, 56, Arroyo Grande, CA
- Kevin Garnier, 48, Lahaina, HI
- Matt Genovese, 39, Santa Barbara, CA
- Nicole Genua, 54, Walnut Creek, CA
- George Hall, 66, Santa Cruz, CA
- Ben Hawkins, 35, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Carol Johnston, 53, San Ramon, CA
- Zee Zee Matta, 52, Menlo Park, CA
- Ashley Quisenberry, 33, Grover Beach, CA
- Tina Robella, 49, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Trevor Sturges, 42, Agoura Hills, CA
- CR Taylor-Burns, 46, Grover Beach, CA
- Jeanine Vaughn, 44, Oak Park, CA
- Wilfred Wong, 48, Clovis, CA
For complete race results, go to: http://georesults.racemine.com/SLO-Marathon/events/2017/slo-mtb-at-wild-cherry-canyon/results
Visit SLOultra.com for more event information including race photos when available and 2018 registration.
ABOUT RACE SLO
Established in 2008 to bring world class sporting events to the beautiful California Central Coast, the Race SLO event line-up includes the upcoming SLO Ultra trail races & NEW Mountain Bike Race at Wild Cherry Canyon (Fall 2017) and VIP Ride & Wine with Bob Roll (Fall 2017) as well as the inaugural Warrior Trail Run Adventure (Spring 2018), 7th SLO Marathon + Half and 5K (Spring 2018) and Healthy Running Sports Medicine Conference (Spring 2018).
The Race SLO Team organizes and produces both fun & competitive running and cycling events that create a positive impact on both our participants and local communities.
Our mission: Through human experiences, we create social & economic impact to share our legacy.
Come experience the best the California Central Coast has to offer: year-round sunshine, rolling green hills, unspoiled open roads, first class finish lines and more. Come Race SLO: #EnduranceTownUSA!
Visit RaceSLO.com for more information.
# # #